PDA

View Full Version : Which Ghost Overflow?

IUfan
08/27/2017, 01:54 PM
Which Ghost Overflow do you recommend?

The Reef Savvy Ghost Overflow?

Or

The Synergy Reef Ghost Overflow?

Anyone have experience with either of these?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WLachnit
08/27/2017, 03:57 PM
I have experience with the Synergy Reef Ghost Overflow and have been pretty happy with it. Can't comment on the Reef Savvy one.

Lsufan
08/27/2017, 04:30 PM
I built my own so I don't have experience with eighther, but by looking at them they both would be a good choice & are the two best manufactured ones I have seen along with modular marine. I would look at the small details on both of them & see if there is something one has that the other doesn't that u would like to have. I know on some have the option of the removable wier & small things like that. The other thing I would look into is the different sizes that they make & how they would fit your setup.

The biggest issue I see with them is people getting to small of a version for there size tank. I would get as big of one that u can fit in your tank. U will get better surface skimming but in a lot of cases it will make the overflow more consistent with your drains. So the longer the interior wier is the better surface skimming u will get & the bigger the exterior box is the more consistent it will stay without having to try & mod the bean animal drains.

They are making the exterior boxes larger on them now but one of the issues when they first came out was the exterior box wasn't big enough. It was big enough to cram the plumbing into the box but not big enough for the bean animal drain to work properly & be consistent.

WLachnit
08/28/2017, 03:07 AM
I built my own so I don't have experience with eighther, but by looking at them they both would be a good choice & are the two best manufactured ones I have seen. I would look at the small details on both of them & see if there is something one has that the other doesn't that u would like to have. I know the synergy has the option of the removable wier & small things like that. The other thing I would look into is the different sizes that they make & how they would fit your setup.

The biggest issue I see with them is people getting to small of a version for there size tank. I would get as big of one that u can fit in your tank. U will get better surface skimming but in a lot of cases it will make the overflow more consistent with your drains. So the longer the interior wier is the better surface skimming u will get & the bigger the exterior box is the more consistent it will stay without having to try & mod the bean animal drains.

They are making the exterior boxes larger on them now but one of the issues when they first came out was the exterior box wasn't big enough. It was big enough to cram the plumbing into the box but not big enough for the bean animal drain to work properly & be consistent.

Those are both very good points. Another option might be Modular Marine.

neilp2006
08/28/2017, 11:59 AM

Any idea when this decision was made? I bought one in May (synergy shadow) and was wondering if I have a smaller box.

Lsufan
08/28/2017, 04:39 PM
On some designs the exterior box is not as long as the interior wier. If they are the same length then I'm sure u are fine. The problem comes when people try to use a 16" overflow on a big tank that they are running 1000 to 1500 gph through the overflow.

I really like the looks of the modular marine overflows to. I'm not sure of all the sizes but I know modular marine makes one 36" long which is what I would use on a tank 4' or longer. They will also make a custom one for u the size u need from what I have read.

JaySchulz
08/28/2017, 04:50 PM
Modular Marine will custom make any size and I highly recommend him. He just built me an overflow and a sump and both were very good quality.

JaySchulz
08/28/2017, 04:54 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170828/958c707bf603b024930dbecebc54eef0.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170828/332b124a9dd94c64826d3749a871f152.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170828/f65ff984c3d14ba9750bf98c7c1c4ce0.jpg

Lsufan
08/28/2017, 05:24 PM
Yea, I edited my first post because I completely forgot about modular marine. I do really like them & if I bought a manufactured one I would go with them. I built mine with a acrylic internal wier & a glass external box. I wanted a glass external box so I didn't have to rely on the gaskets but I also wanted my box to be 52" long because I have a 60" tank. I figured it would be expensive getting them to build that size box. All of that plus me building things for a living I decided to just DIY.

Jay, what size box did they make for u. It looks to be about a 60" wier with around a 36" box. It looks perfect for your tank. The bigger the box the better & I always recommend people to get the biggest one that they can fit.

JaySchulz
08/28/2017, 05:31 PM
Yea, I edited my first post because I completely forgot about modular marine. I do really like them & if I bought a manufactured one I would go with them. I built mine with a acrylic internal wier & a glass external box. I wanted a glass external box so I didn't have to rely on the gaskets but I also wanted my box to be 52" long because I have a 60" tank. I figured it would be expensive getting them to build that size box. All of that plus me building things for a living I decided to just DIY.

Jay, what size box did they make for u. It looks to be about a 60" wier with around a 36" box. It looks perfect for your tank. The bigger the box the better & I always recommend people to get the biggest one that they can fit.

52" toothless weir and 28" external box. The box is taller than his normal design though. Bulkheads for the pass throughs and uniseals for the drains.

IUfan
08/28/2017, 06:00 PM
52" toothless weir and 28" external box. The box is taller than his normal design though. Bulkheads for the pass throughs and uniseals for the drains.

Looks great Jay!

Can you share more pictures? The toothless weir, is it just a flat edge on top? Or is it a slit so there is still something to limit fish from going over the Overflow?

What steps did you take to ensure the waterline was hidden behind the frame?

And I'm concerned that the external box does not sit flat on the back of the tank, I think this would create leverage with the weight of water in the box and could compromise the box over time? Have you noticed any issues with that, does it feel solid?

IUfan
08/28/2017, 06:06 PM
**** Jay, just read your build thread, your in Houston? Hope your doing somewhat okay considering the flooding in Houston

JaySchulz
08/28/2017, 06:34 PM
Looks great Jay!

Can you share more pictures? The toothless weir, is it just a flat edge on top? Or is it a slit so there is still something to limit fish from going over the Overflow?

What steps did you take to ensure the waterline was hidden behind the frame?

And I'm concerned that the external box does not sit flat on the back of the tank, I think this would create leverage with the weight of water in the box and could compromise the box over time? Have you noticed any issues with that, does it feel solid?

The toothless weir is a notch and he includes a removable lid. He does toothed weirs as well but I wanted to increase skimming efficiency.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170829/21994815bba1bec2638b24bb3327fa9d.jpg

My tank is framed as well and he actually creates a notch at the top of the external box to put the overflow high enough to hide the waterline.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170829/555cdf66ea6bc7b750a017437ef1d10d.jpg

As you know I don't have water in my tank yet but I will say that the box is extremely sturdy and it feels very solid. I've read other members post that the Modular Marine felt more solid than other ghost overflows but I don't know that from personal experience. I've also never read any one complain about any long term issues with their Modular Marine overflow.

Thank you by the way. Im fortunate to not have any flooding concerns at my house yet but I'm also an hour north of Houston. Hopefully this rain starts to go away.

JaySchulz
08/28/2017, 06:46 PM
Oh I did want to say that you have to let him know to notch the top of the external box to fit flush with the frame. All he will need is how much the frame sticks out from the tank.

I also forgot to mention that he will build the overflows with thicker acrylic should you feel you want a sturdier and stronger overflow.

neilp2006
08/28/2017, 07:05 PM
On some designs the exterior box is not as long as the interior wier. If they are the same length then I'm sure u are fine. The problem comes when people try to use a 16" overflow on a big tank that they are running 1000 to 1500 gph through the tank

Hmmm, I'm kinda stuck with the 16inch on a short end of a aqueon 180, since I'm setting it in wall with both long sides visible. But I'm only planning on 6-700 gph through the overflow. Rest of the flow will be a couple xf250 gyres.

Cheers

Tom39
08/28/2017, 07:32 PM
My current build utilizes a Synergy Reef Ghost overflow and my over review of the overflow is good. However, my only suggestion would be choose a return pump that was no more than 1000gph at discharge.

neilp2006
08/28/2017, 07:36 PM
Yeah, it was going to be a tough one. Need a head of 14 feet (basement sump) - so I'm picking up a jabao dcs 18000. Hopefully I can tune it in perfectly for that overflow .

IUfan
08/28/2017, 08:07 PM
Jay, thanks for all the info. I just dropped them a message and going to see what I can sort out.

I too went with Custom Aquariums to build my 220, they are just waiting on dimensions for the Overflow, so hope I can get it all coordinated. Your tank looks great!

ca1ore
08/29/2017, 11:35 AM
Went with the stock 36" MM model for my impending 400. I do think that the practical capacity of them is less than the theoretical capacity. Mine is rated at 3,000 gph, but I don't plan for much more than half of that.

WLachnit
08/29/2017, 01:46 PM
I would have gone with modular marine Had I known about them when I ordered my tank.

FLSharkvictim
08/30/2017, 11:07 AM
I am getting ready to set up a SC-150 that's pre-drilled for a External Overflow box. I am going with the 20'' Synergy Reef External Overflow instead of the Reef Savvy! I have added a pix of my tank and a pix of Overflow box.

GQsmooth
09/01/2017, 07:42 AM
I am getting ready to set up a SC-150 that's pre-drilled for a External Overflow box. I am going with the 20'' Synergy Reef External Overflow instead of the Reef Savvy! I have added a pix of my tank and a pix of Overflow box.

Great choice! :thumbsup:

IUfan
09/20/2017, 12:50 PM
Going to go with the Modular Marine Overflow. Any thoughts on whether I should go with there removable weir box or leave standard with the fixed weir box?

JaySchulz
09/20/2017, 12:53 PM
Going to go with the Modular Marine Overflow. Any thoughts on whether I should go with there removable weir box or leave standard with the fixed weir box?

Hopefully ca1ore will chime in. I'm pretty sure he knows the big differences between the two.

sfsuphysics
09/20/2017, 02:00 PM
The biggest problem I originally had with MM was that cleaning out the internal weir box was very difficult, where as Synergy & Ghost both had the magnetic weir teeth to access the inside of the box. With the removable weir box it makes it possible to get in there and clean it out, but the tank will drain to the bottom of the bulkhead holes if you're not careful which might be a problem if you have a sump that barely has capacity. There are ways around that but it is something to keep in mind.

FYI, I remember seeing the Synergy overflow at MACNA and they were all happy about the single piece injection process, but damnit if it didn't feel flimsy as all hell, like seriously would worry the thing would bulge out if it was actually full of water.

WLachnit
09/20/2017, 05:30 PM
Good point about being able to clean the inside of the internal box. I ended up plumbing both of my 20" internal boxes to only one of the external boxes so that I would only have one beananimal setup. But, as I have now learned, one external box to drain two of the ghost overflows does make it tough to dial in and maintain silent.

fifthtoe
09/21/2017, 06:57 AM
...but the tank will drain to the bottom of the bulkhead holes if you're not careful which might be a problem if you have a sump that barely has capacity. There are ways around that but it is something to keep in mind.

I have the old style 16 synergy reef overflow and noticed when I first installed it that it would drain the tank to the bottom of the bulkheads (with return pump shut off). This was a very slow leak. I only noticed it because during initial filling of the tank, I shut pumps off to test sump capacity. I left the pumps off for an extended period of time and walked away for about an hour. When I came back, the tank volume was less than what it should have been. This should not have been possible since the bottom of the weir is above the bulkheads, even after removal. After a little investigating, I ended up having a leak at the bottom of the internal overflow box. They forgot to seal one of the seams and there was about a 1/16 gap. Once I sealed it up, everything functioned as expected and the tank (with return pump off) only drained to the bottom of the weir.

I only have experience with the synergy reef overflow, but it makes me wonder if others are experiencing something similar and not realizing that the box may actually have a leak in it. I only said all that to let others know that it might be a good idea to test for leaks, regardless of manufacturer, before installation.

WLachnit
09/21/2017, 10:03 AM
I have the old style 16 synergy reef overflow and noticed when I first installed it that it would drain the tank to the bottom of the bulkheads (with return pump shut off). This was a very slow leak. I only noticed it because during initial filling of the tank, I shut pumps off to test sump capacity. I left the pumps off for an extended period of time and walked away for about an hour. When I came back, the tank volume was less than what it should have been. This should not have been possible since the bottom of the weir is above the bulkheads, even after removal. After a little investigating, I ended up having a leak at the bottom of the internal overflow box. They forgot to seal one of the seams and there was about a 1/16 gap. Once I sealed it up, everything functioned as expected and the tank (with return pump off) only drained to the bottom of the weir.

I only have experience with the synergy reef overflow, but it makes me wonder if others are experiencing something similar and not realizing that the box may actually have a leak in it. I only said all that to let others know that it might be a good idea to test for leaks, regardless of manufacturer, before installation.

My tank drains to the bottom of the removable weir piece and not to the bottom of the weir. It makes sense since the removable weir does not form a water tight seal. But, it was something that I didn't account for when I planned my sump volume.

ca1ore
09/21/2017, 10:17 AM
Hopefully ca1ore will chime in. I'm pretty sure he knows the big differences between the two.

I ended up getting the non removable weir as I was concerned about water leaking through the friction fit removable stubs. Only an issue during protracted outages (and maybe not even then), but still. If my pump were to fail when I was out of town my sump could conceivably overflow. I had the tank builder route an opening right above the weir making cleaning easy.

makers marc
09/27/2017, 03:08 PM
Modular Marine will custom make any size and I highly recommend him. He just built me an overflow and a sump and both were very good quality.

Can you show me pics of the sump they built you? I was leaning on a synergy reef cl44 sump, but if MM can do something as functional for cheaper, I can forget about aesthetics

JaySchulz
09/27/2017, 03:27 PM
Can you show me pics of the sump they built you? I was leaning on a synergy reef cl44 sump, but if MM can do something as functional for cheaper, I can forget about aesthetics

Let me know if you want anymore or more detailed pics. I thought the price was extremely reasonable for 1/2" acrylic.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170927/df7293aedf324e5c45dfac4507428497.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170927/b50b93b16e0e9c71b7c4c9ef9f15c5ba.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170927/d16bae0a2dea9dfdb9d40563d6ada015.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170927/b213c690fb6fb3cbd4da52d0e8a99bff.jpg