PDA

View Full Version : Cracked glass in between bulkheads - easy fix?

BillKVT
08/27/2017, 02:59 PM
So I was in the process of putting together my first 40g setup and cracked the glass in between the bulkheads when tightening them. The crack goes straight across 3 inches from one bulkhead to the other. Should I replace the tank or will reinforcing it with glass inside and out help resolve this issue? Any help/tips will be much appreciated. Thanks.

mcgyvr
08/27/2017, 03:42 PM
tank is scrap IMO..
What size holes? how far apart?
That should never happen..

BillKVT
08/27/2017, 03:50 PM
Here is a close-up. Holes are 1.75 inches each. The crack is roughly 2.5 inches long.

Gladmaker
08/27/2017, 04:30 PM
If it was mine, I would probably try repairing it. My first thought would be to use a fiberglass repair using fiberglass mesh and coat with fiberglass paste inside and out. That will harden so it will hold the split area together. Since it's between bulkheads, you don't have to be very concerned with appearance as it can be hidden with something. It would have to be done with the bulkheads in place so you don't get some of it under a gasket.

WLachnit
08/27/2017, 05:01 PM
Does not seem like it's worth repairing since it is only a 40g tank.

Lsufan
08/27/2017, 06:53 PM
To me it isn't worth trying to repair. If it's a new tank at the very least u would have to replace the back glass. It's hard to tell in the picture because it looks close but the holes need to have atleast 1.75" between them in your case. The hole back glass is compromised so u can't just fix it without replacing the back glass. I would just pic one up for $40 at the next sale

Tightening the bulkheads really shouldn't do that but I guess it's possible. If I had to guess I would say the tank may have been damaged when the holes where drilled & u couldn't tell by looking at them. If it was from tightening the bulkheads then next time tighten them hand tight, then go another 1/4 of a turn. U can always tighten them a little more when u do a leak check if they leak a little. Overtighting them is a bigger issue then them not being quite tight enough

bhbell
08/27/2017, 08:56 PM
Another option for you. Patch it by siliconing another piece of glass to cover the area and re drill it. The crack won't spread beyond where it is, but the potential for issues with salt creep and getting a 100%seal are still there. The glass patch is the way I'd go if it were mine.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

rsucre
08/27/2017, 11:29 PM
Agree with siliconing a piece of glass. But for a 40g, assuming it is a regular tank, I think it is not worth the hassle and risk. I would go and buy a new tank.

Ron Reefman
08/28/2017, 06:56 AM
I'd get a new tank. But I'd repair that one by removing the bulkheads, cutting a glass patch big enough to cover both holes and then some, attach it to the inside of the tank with 3M Co. 5200 adhesive. I'd probably leave it like that but I suppose you could drill it again if that's what you wanted. Then keep it in the basement or garage as a 'spare' back up in case of an emergency.

ca1ore
08/28/2017, 08:30 AM
Is the crack near the bottom of the tank, or the top - cannot tell for sure from the photo. If high up on the panel I'd repair; if low down I'd replace.

ravi197699
08/28/2017, 10:24 AM
use 2 pieces of glass and sandwich the crack between 2 pcs, Use good silicone..JMO

Fredfish
08/28/2017, 02:57 PM
I'd get a new tank. But I'd repair that one by removing the bulkheads, cutting a glass patch big enough to cover both holes and then some, attach it to the inside of the tank with 3M Co. 5200 adhesive. I'd probably leave it like that but I suppose you could drill it again if that's what you wanted. Then keep it in the basement or garage as a 'spare' back up in case of an emergency.
Winner! Throwing away a tank is just plain wasteful. Keep it as a backup or quarantine tank. If you really don't want to do that, give it to someone who is willing to fix it.

five.five-six
08/28/2017, 08:43 PM
Very simple fix, buy a new tank.

Ebone
08/28/2017, 09:06 PM
I would never sleep at night, 40 breeder $1 gallon sale, buy a new one

ericarenee
08/29/2017, 08:45 AM
you can repair it by method above.. Cut a piece of glass that covers bulkheads by at least 2 inches on each side .. Silicon it in place then Re drill bulkheads.. I did a 70 like this that is cracked very low and on the end panel. But , BUT!! It is a Sump and the repair is in the Return chamber that leads to external pump. Its in my basement 2 feet from my floor drain. The sump chamber in this tank holds only about 15 gallons of water and there is a leak detector on the floor next to the tank...

for 40.00 I would repair and add it to my basement tanks .. WOULD not put this in a living space ...