PDA

View Full Version : Digital Potassium & Nitrate Testing

Mohammed
08/28/2017, 04:25 AM
Hi,

Would like to know if the accuracy of testing has improved over the years for potassium titration kits, and which is the preferred brand. Salifert did have some issues in the past if I recall.

Just did a quick Google search and came across the Horiba LAQUAtwin Potassium Ion Meter. Anyone knows of this tester. The variance is +- 10% accuracy and is designed for Sea water.

I also note they do a Nitrate Ion Tester and a Calcium and a few others, considering Hanna hasn't developed one of the egg testers for potassium and nitrate and with issues with the calcium tester, could this be a viable alternative, just not sure if its designed for aquarium use?

bertoni
08/28/2017, 05:47 PM
That meter looks like it might work, but I'm not sure about ocean water (vs a simple NaCl solution). I'd call the company to ask for information before buying it. Horiba is a reputable firm, at least.

outssider
08/28/2017, 06:04 PM
+- 10% accuracy seems pretty useless to me.....

bertoni
08/28/2017, 06:30 PM
I'd like better accuracy, too, but 10% probably is close enough for a lot of uses.

Mohammed
08/29/2017, 02:58 PM
Called up the company and awaiting a sample of the unit to go check and possibly run a few tests with, the guy did mention they have standards thats used for calibration so will check accuracy and possibly try and run a test on my water.

The units are also very pricy almost 7 times more than a hanna egg tester.

Just hoping the sample teater comes through.