PDA

View Full Version : Mixing station, cleaning salt tank.

Realest20
08/28/2017, 09:57 PM
I've been contemplating a mixing station build. Right now I use a brute can, and it's not plumbed or in a fixed position. Today I emptied and cleaned my brute can after having mixed salt water sit in it a couple weeks.

The sides of my tank were covered in sediment and salt drop out. And it was a bit of a pain.

My question is. If I build a more permanent setup. I won't be about to haul it out a and rinse out so easily. What are you all doing to keep tank clean? Only make enough salt for immediate use?scrubbinh tanks clean? Something else?

billdogg
08/29/2017, 07:56 AM
About once a year (if I remember to) I use a chunk of blue filter pad on a long piece of scrap wood to wipe down the sides, then rinse and drain. Other than that, I don't do a darn thing to it. And FWIW, it's an open topped 55g barrel

Ted_C
08/29/2017, 10:33 AM
I used a clean mop on mine to scrub it down (tall 90 gallon Rotomold). I get some sort of bacteria though - not anything from the salt (using ESV). Whatever it is that collects - I think it is eating something from the airline tubing I use.

I dont really need to clean more than once every two or three years.

I have mine plumbed with true union ball valves for easy disconnect - below is an old pic. I had to redo the plumbing so I could put the closet door back on.

https://pclaypool.homeserver.com/public_pictures/2015_02_14_Water_Mixing_Station_3.jpg

homer1475
08/29/2017, 02:57 PM
I use 2 brutes that have unions plumbed into them. I simply unscrew a union or 2 and my barrel is free and clear to clean out. My water sits for about a month before it's fully used up and I have to make a new batch.

When I was using IORC I had to clean the barrel every couple months from the brown crud buildup. Since switching to plain IO, I haven't had any buildup or needed to clean the barrel.

Realest20
08/29/2017, 09:28 PM
Okay thanks. I wonder if I should try a different salt. I've been using "Salinity" salt mix. It likes to leave a nice white residue on the inside of my brute.

TED_C I really like your set up. That's my goal. But hoping I can find rectangle tanks to maximize my space.

Ted_C
08/30/2017, 06:41 AM
Circular provides better mixing characteristics. Squares or Rectangles could result in low flow or dead spots as the water spins around inside.

I use an air stone, a powerhead and the return pump to ensure adequate mixing

Realest20
09/01/2017, 09:28 PM
What size is the pump?

der_wille_zur_macht
09/02/2017, 04:59 AM
I've gone for years without cleaning salt mixing stations. Can't say if it's salt brand or source water or something else, but now that I think about it, I can't remember ever cleaning a saltwater storage container. I've pretty much always used IO. I do know I've heard of some people talking about brown sludge (bacteria?) in RC and other salt mixes, but that's just anecdotal.

Realest20
09/03/2017, 09:14 AM
I've gone for years without cleaning salt mixing stations. Can't say if it's salt brand or source water or something else, but now that I think about it, I can't remember ever cleaning a saltwater storage container. I've pretty much always used IO. I do know I've heard of some people talking about brown sludge (bacteria?) in RC and other salt mixes, but that's just anecdotal.

if you are using IO, and not IORC. I am correct to assume you are dosing your own elements (ie cal, mag)

Ted_C
09/03/2017, 09:26 AM
What size is the pump?

I use a vectra L1 at 100%

No need to dose with IO - some like running their Alkalinity closer to Natural sea water (~7 dkh). Once you have a salt mix - stick with it. Don't switch or your tank will go through an adjust period that might stress it out.

der_wille_zur_macht
09/03/2017, 12:24 PM
if you are using IO, and not IORC. I am correct to assume you are dosing your own elements (ie cal, mag)

Yes, I mean Instant Ocean, not Reef Crystals.

In a tank with any sort of reasonably nice coral stock list, you're going to be dosing anyways. Water changes alone won't keep up, regardless of the salt mix. I don't see the point in paying more for a salt mix that has stuff in it that I've already got covered through supplementation. Especially when some of the "reef" mixes have parameters that are way too high anyways. You can dose up to a desired value but if the salt has too much of something, you're kind of stuck.

Fishbulb2
09/05/2017, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I've been battling this as well and it's pretty gross. I use IO and mix it very thoroughly but it's clear it has a lot of dirt in it as well. I normally run a Mag350 with the micron cartridge on the reservoir when I mix it to catch brown stuff and that works well. To simplify the operation, this week I ordered a hagen powerhead with the quick clean up filter and the new Marineland internal filter that uses the same micron cartridge as the Magnum350. Hopefully they will work and just be easier to setup and teardown. I'm using a liter meter for water changes and fear having the lines all gunked up with the IO brownness. If I could go back to the big open top Brute trashcan, I would in a heartbeat.

FB