PDA

View Full Version : Melanarus wrasse chasing longnose hawfish

Coral Lab
08/29/2017, 06:18 PM
My melanarus wrasse is territorial towards my new longnose hawfish. They are both about 4 inches, I got the hawk last weekend and the melanarus 3 weeks ago. He is forever banished to sitting on top of the gyre in my tank because whenever he gets off, melanarus chases him relentlessly back up. I find this weird because I though melanarus wrasses were pretty docile fish except when it comes to their own kind. When its feeding time they both ignore each other but once the food is gone, back up to banishment he goes.:worried2: Hawk's are some of my favorite fish and i don't want to get rid of him but on the other hand, I don't want his entire life to be sitting up there. Can anyone help with suggestions???

EthanHawaii
08/30/2017, 03:16 PM
My Melanarus Wrasse is territorial as well and will chase new fish, but usually it will calm down and pretty much ignore the new fish after a few weeks. So just give them some time to figure things out.

Coral Lab
08/30/2017, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the advice, ill take it and give them more time!

EthanHawaii
09/01/2017, 10:36 PM
How are they doing now?

Coral Lab
09/09/2017, 12:51 PM
The chasing is still going on, but not frequently and I've even seen them chill next to each other and mind their own business a couple times. After the wrasse goes to sleep at 7, the hawk comes out and owns the tank so I think they'll be ok. More importantly, have to worry about irma and a long term power outage and/or flooding.