PDA

View Full Version : Build a full length overflow

Oceanavekid
08/29/2017, 10:50 PM
What's the easiest way to build a full length overflow like you see on reef ready tanks? I'd like to make one of my 30 gallon rimless tank. Or does someone know a place to get them/someone who can make one for a good price?

mcgyvr
08/30/2017, 08:21 AM
Are you talking about a "coast to coast" overflow or a "reef ready" overflow..
They are NOT the same at all..

2 pieces of glass and silicone is what you use for a coast to coast overflow (or acrylic if an acrylic tank)

There are people on ebay that sell acrylic overflows and your local glass store can cut you some 3/16" or thicker glass to the size you want..

Looking at your other post and assuming you can't make your own I would suggest googling for "corner overflow kit" or something that will work for you..

Oceanavekid
08/30/2017, 10:18 AM
Are you talking about a "coast to coast" overflow or a "reef ready" overflow..
They are NOT the same at all..

2 pieces of glass and silicone is what you use for a coast to coast overflow (or acrylic if an acrylic tank)

There are people on ebay that sell acrylic overflows and your local glass store can cut you some 3/16" or thicker glass to the size you want..

Looking at your other post and assuming you can't make your own I would suggest googling for "corner overflow kit" or something that will work for you..

I'll look on eBay see what I can find

I'm just looking for a long back cover to go around the stand pipe in my tank

mcgyvr
08/30/2017, 10:25 AM
I'll look on eBay see what I can find

I'm just looking for a long back cover to go around the stand pipe in my tank

"long" or "wide" to me implies horizontal distance..
"high" or "tall" to me would imply vertical.. :p

billdogg
08/30/2017, 11:04 AM
You can get away with just one piece of glass or acrylic (I'd use 1/4" glass) that just angles from the side to the back. You'll have a awkward to get into overflow area but that is certainly the easiest route. Your other option is to bring a piece straight out from the side and straight out from the back to make a box, but that will waste a lot of space in an already smallish setup. The single angled piece also blends in better IMO.

Have a local glass shop cut you what you need and then use 100% silicone to fasten it in place. Allow it to cure for a week or so and call it done.