PDA

View Full Version : Ich cysts

Kaiser699a
08/30/2017, 09:13 AM
I am wondering if the cycst stage attaches firmly to a substrate or if it can be rinsed or brushed off easily?
I have recently carried out TTM on infected fish and my DT now sits fallow for 90 days with fish in QT holding. I have been reading around for a few weeks now while treating and learning about ich, TTM and QT but can't find an answer to this. If the cycst stage attaches firmly to a substrate and I can't rinse or brush them off easily I have no option but to QT all non fish items for a fallow period of 90 days.:hmm2:

My concern is with invert shells and coral skeletons carrying cysts. I know it might be low risk but I want zero risk of reinfecting with ich. Dipping corals and short QT is my plan if I can get rid of cycsts from hard surfaces. Anyone know the answer to this?

JustinM
08/30/2017, 05:28 PM
You are correct. Anything wet should be qt'd with the exception of sea stars/ hares, etc. They should still be rinsed though.

There is no easy way around it, I know it sucks but if you want an ich free system, you have to qt for a min of 72 days, preferably 90.

Jdub968
08/31/2017, 01:05 AM
76 days should be ample I've never read any studies were 90 days is required the longest time a tomont (the cyst) stage was observed in a study was 72 days and keep in mind these were at lower temperature in a controlled study

Kaiser699a
10/23/2017, 07:41 AM
Has anyone ever seen what triggers the tomont stage to end and the free swimmers to emerge? Is it random? Can they be "tricked" to hacth in a non fish environment?

Dmorty217
10/23/2017, 10:14 AM
Has anyone ever seen what triggers the tomont stage to end and the free swimmers to emerge? Is it random? Can they be "tricked" to hacth in a non fish environment?

They can't be tricked into hatching. If you can figure out how to trick them, let me know and you can make a lot of money:spin1: Cysts won't attach to corals themselves but will be on plugs and other things such as shells like you mentioned before. Fallow periods suck but in the scheme of things its a short time in this hobby.

Jdub968
10/23/2017, 11:28 AM
The only "trick" is raise the temp in the tank the time tomonts stay encrusted is a random time generally most affected by temp however they all hatch so to speak between 2-9am

JustinM
10/23/2017, 02:24 PM
It is also dependent on the strain. Generally anywhere from a week to 72 days.

ReefMaster48
10/23/2017, 02:29 PM
The OP would have to take corals out, but can you "burn" or "freeze" Ich? Would raising or dropping (harder method) the tank temp ridiculously kill them off? It would also likely kill bacteria and a lot of stuff, but it may be worth it rather then waiting 76+ days. Thoughts?

JustinM
10/23/2017, 02:40 PM
In 62 degree water, the trophonts had a 12% encyst rate with a 0% excyst rate. Nothing in our aquarium could survive those temps. As for raising the temp, it may speed up the cycle but the temp would have to be above 86 which would also kill most of the stuff we keep.