PDA

View Full Version : How noisy is noisy?

griffithimage
08/30/2017, 03:27 PM
Hi, I'm thinking of setting up a 90 gallon tank (with 40 gallon sump in an enclosed wood stand) behind my office desk (18 inches away from my chair). I haven't purchased powerheads (thinking ecotec) or skimmer and return pump yet.
Am I asking for trouble noise wise being so close to my desk and phone? Are there brands quieter than others?

Thanks

JohnZena
08/30/2017, 03:36 PM
Hi, I'm thinking of setting up a 90 gallon tank (with 40 gallon sump in an enclosed wood stand) behind my office desk (18 inches away from my chair). I haven't purchased powerheads (thinking ecotec) or skimmer and return pump yet.
Am I asking for trouble noise wise being so close to my desk and phone? Are there brands quieter than others?

ThanksI have a temporary set up while I move and my sump is 4 feet from me. My 1400gph pump is a very soft humming at best and my sump is in the open. Powerheads are silent to me. I dont see an issue. I prefer DC pumps for a number of reasons. There is a thread here about noise that refers several pumps.

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

billdogg
08/30/2017, 04:02 PM
If you go with a herbie or bean animal style drain rather than a durso that will take away about 95% of the noise right off the bat. Use (make) a muffler for the skimmer air intake to get rid of that source. Power heads should be pretty much silent. I have use a eheim 1262 for my return. It sits on a silicone mat and is as close to silent as any return pump I've ever had

Hth

sdbc
08/30/2017, 04:15 PM
My skimmer (AquaMaxx CO2) makes the most noise. Also, I have my sump plumbed with PVC and I get vibrations at various points. If you go soft tubing it should eliminate that source. With enough equipment on that combo, you are going to have some noise. The questions are whether it will be acceptable and what will you do if it isn't?

thegrun
08/30/2017, 05:37 PM
If you purchase quality equipment, design your drain lines correctly, place your pumps on silicone isolation pads and use silicone tubing for your final connections to pumps you can have a nearly dead quiet system, other than a little water surface agitation noise my 120 gallon system makes almost no noise.

Jon0807
08/30/2017, 08:39 PM
I purchased a sicce syncra "silent" which is supposed to be quality but the thing hums really loud no matter what I did. I've replaced it with a Jebao which is almost half the price and it's dead silent. Make sure you look at the reviews before you purchase anything.

ca1ore
08/30/2017, 08:46 PM
You must have set it up wrong because all my sicce synchra pumps are silent.

Noise is in the ear of the beholder. For me, anything above 25 db is noisy.

Jon0807
08/30/2017, 09:08 PM
You must have set it up wrong because all my sicce synchra pumps are silent.

Noise is in the ear of the beholder. For me, anything above 25 db is noisy.

I have it hooked up to my plumbing with a silicon tube and I pretty much have to have it floating to quiet it down. Even then the hum is still fairly loud. That said, I have a Vertex Omega 150 that uses a sicce pump that's quiet. Maybe it's the size difference. I have the 5.0

ca1ore
08/31/2017, 07:24 AM
One thing I will say about the Sicce pumps is that they do quieten down after running for a couple of weeks; and important, as you note, to make sure it's clear of side and bottom glass. Good point about size though, my biggest is the 3.0.