PDA

View Full Version : Plastic rim for DIY sump

five.five-six
08/31/2017, 06:54 AM
Well, I can't seem to find a sump or tank that fits my stand the way I want to so I am considering building a glass sump, acrylic is so expensive :( All cheep commercially avalable tanks have the rim on the bottom and the top, where can I buy that material? I believe it will make my sump stronger.

BigT75
08/31/2017, 09:43 AM
What size of sump do you need ? I've been in a search for a narrow one myself and have viewed many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

five.five-six
08/31/2017, 09:53 AM
15X35 by probably 16 tall. there's nothing out there that I can find.

Clowning_Around
08/31/2017, 12:12 PM
Can you fit 36long? If so a 30gL might work. Being a sump and all the baffles depending on config I would probably ignore the trim. You'll probably have plenty of reinf and not be running it full of water like a DT, so less pressure. As for the plastic i think the vendors bulk order or make themselves / nlt something you can buy custom. If your set on trim, id make one out of metal or wood. Or another option just brace the top with more glass.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

five.five-six
08/31/2017, 12:37 PM
Can you fit 36long? If so a 30gL might work. Being a sump and all the baffles depending on config I would probably ignore the trim. You'll probably have plenty of reinf and not be running it full of water like a DT, so less pressure. As for the plastic i think the vendors bulk order or make themselves / nlt something you can buy custom. If your set on trim, id make one out of metal or wood. Or another option just brace the top with more glass.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I don't care for baffles so much, I can install them if I want. The skimmer I am running is gynormous for the tank and I need as big of a sump as I can get

Take a look at what I'm dealing with, maybe you can help :) (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2647843&page=4)

der_wille_zur_macht
08/31/2017, 01:54 PM
You can buy pre-made plastic trim from some of the common tank manufacturers but only in standard sizes. When making your own tank from scratch, it is much more common to either use thick glass and build rimless, or use a glass eurobrace around the top. Either way, get the glass edges relieved or do it yourself, otherwise you'll cut yourself up every time you go near the tank. That plastic trim does provide some bracing but it also hides the sharp edges of the glass.

mcgyvr
09/01/2017, 05:13 PM
^^ yep... eurobrace it if going with non-standard tank dimensions..
Tank trim pieces are molded in one piece for standard sizes only..

A 40breeder makes a great sump.. sure you can't fit that?

der_wille_zur_macht
09/01/2017, 05:50 PM
Honestly, sumps are usually low stress thanks to the fact that they are only partially filled and have lots of baffles that act like braces. I would probably just size up the glass and build rimless. It gives better access, too.

EvenFurther
09/02/2017, 04:09 PM
I agree.
The baffles are going to greatly increase strength. If you use a strong quality adhesive like RTV108 or SCS1200, you shouldn't need a rim.

I made a rimless sump from a broken 40B. Bottom glass is 3/8" rest is 1/4". Its 25.5" x 15.5 x 15". Its plenty strong, and will be set on a 1/8" neoprene mat.

http://i.imgur.com/l9pw6Lv.jpg