PDA

View Full Version : Sulfur denitrator and nopox

scuzy
08/31/2017, 10:07 AM
Can I inject nopox into my sulfur denitrator to feed the bacteria in it?

Thanks

bertoni
08/31/2017, 01:01 PM
You should be able to add a carbon source to the denitrator if you do it slowly enough. NO:POX contains alcohol and vinegar, both of which are going to be toxic, so you'd need to control the dosing rate very carefully. What do you have available for a pump? A very slow dosing pump might work.

scuzy
08/31/2017, 01:17 PM
I was going to inject it using a Apex DOS

bertoni
08/31/2017, 04:11 PM
From what little I can tell, that pump might be able to do the job. If you have the pump already, you could give it a shot. I'd inject a single drop at a time. The timing between drops would depend on the flow rate through the reactor and the size of the drop in question.

tmz
09/02/2017, 11:18 AM
I think the bacterial mass from the heterotrophic bacteria may clog the sulphur media and interfere with flow and ultimately activity by the sulfur bacteria, potentially resulting in hydrogen sulfide issues,ime. I ran the sulfur denitrator to take down NO3 from around 50 plus to less than 5ppm and then started carbon dosing without the denitrator and haven't used it again for a number of years on the main system in favor of continued carbon dosing.
If you want to try both at the same time ,dosing the carbon in a separate area with surface areas for the heterotrophic bactetria to colonize might be a better course.

scuzy
09/02/2017, 11:22 AM
I'm battling high nitrate cause I feed a lot to keep all the tangs and fishes happy. Notice with more frequent feeding they don't get as aggressive. So I need this sulfur denitrator to bring down there nitrate.

tmz
09/02/2017, 12:07 PM
I feed very heavily as well and maintain low nitrate and phosphate with organic carbon dosing. I sued my diy denitrator to bring the nitrates down at the start which was 7 or 8 years ago.