PDA

View Full Version : ESV 2-Part: Trace Minerals, or Bunk?

Rakie
08/31/2017, 03:24 PM
Wondering if there's anything behind the ESV trace mineral stuff, or if it's all bunk.

I'm using ME 2 part currently.

bertoni
08/31/2017, 04:16 PM
"Bunk" might be a bit harsh, but I suspect that all of the current two-parts are acceptable. I haven't heard of any particular problems with any of them. I used the DIY 2-part, which didn't have any trace elements added intentionally, after years of using ESB, and saw no difference in growth or coloration. I did keep up a reasonable water change schedule, though.

Rakie
08/31/2017, 05:49 PM
"Bunk" might be a bit harsh, but I suspect that all of the current two-parts are acceptable. I haven't heard of any particular problems with any of them. I used the DIY 2-part, which didn't have any trace elements added intentionally, after years of using ESB, and saw no difference in growth or coloration. I did keep up a reasonable water change schedule, though.

I know it's not wise to divulge proprietary information, but this is the stuff that would really help us to decide to buy a pricey product versus not take the risk.

The only difference in two parts is basically concentration level.. After that, there's a FEW that claim to have some trace minerals which of course, could be desirable. If they do indeed exist.

There's also Brightwell Aquatics who have a fleshed out list of ingredients I believe.

bertoni
08/31/2017, 06:00 PM
I agree that we tend to know very little about what's in a fairly wide range of products on the market. In the case of trace elements, unfortunately we also have no cost-effective way of measuring what's in our water.

Martin Kuhn
09/01/2017, 08:58 AM
You can read in the product description if
- it is only a 2/3 part
- it contains traces

(Also some just 2/3 parts have sometimes a high price Niveau)

As already posted: we don't know how to judge between good and bad trace mixtures. Also we don't know the concentration.
Instead we believe the companies advertisements:)

In General dry salts that you mix by yourself are much cheaper than pre mixed solutions. (Here you pay a lot of money just for transporting water )

The best deal "IF" you think your tanks needs additional traces are
- dry 2/3 parts (the haven't traces inside)
Plus
- a trace element mix that is mixed into the liquid solutions you prepare from the first ones

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

Rakie
09/01/2017, 02:15 PM
The best deal "IF" you think your tanks needs additional traces are
- dry 2/3 parts (the haven't traces inside)
Plus
- a trace element mix that is mixed into the liquid solutions you prepare from the first ones

That's true. Would there be an issue with precipitation?

Say were using a generic 2 part with no trace elements added. And for sake of argument, lets say we wanted to use Brightwell Aquatics Koralle-VM (http://brightwellaquatics.com/products/korallevmt.php) because it has it's supposed guaranteed analysis of elements.

Would adding that Koralle-VM into a mixture of Alk or Cal cause any type of precipitation or instability within the Alk / Cal?

bertoni
09/01/2017, 03:39 PM
That product also contains organics, so I would dose it separately. The organics might decay if diluted into the calcium solution, and the trace elements might precipitate in the alkalinity solution.

Rakie
09/01/2017, 04:38 PM
That product also contains organics, so I would dose it separately. The organics might decay if diluted into the calcium solution, and the trace elements might precipitate in the alkalinity solution.

Gotcha! Are there any other combinations like this you may recommend? Or is a 2 part with true macro/micro elements a pipe-dream (outside of Triton)

bertoni
09/01/2017, 04:41 PM
I suspect that the ESV product is fine with respect to trace elements. In practice, water changes seem to be fine to keep any needed elements at the required level. In addition, they help remove anything building up in the water.

tmz
09/02/2017, 10:18 AM
I've tried a variety of trace elements over the years with no discernible benefit vs small frequent water changes and feeding fish regualrly.