PDA

View Full Version : Return pump is making a gurgling noise

Oceanavekid
09/01/2017, 12:54 AM
Why does it look like my sump isn't filling to the "water line"

My pump keeps making a gurgling noise

Don't mind the noise from my stand pipe but the noise from the pump is a bit much

What can I do to improve my system?

Gorgok
09/01/2017, 01:57 AM
Is that water line marked when the pump is off? The level will be wherever it is when its running and that won't be where it is when its not.

If you want to raise it when its running, add more water. Just make sure you have enough room for the extra drainage when its off then...

Clowning_Around
09/01/2017, 06:35 AM
I suspect the gurgling is your pump sucking some air, which is not good on the pump. This is a result of the low water, it looks like its just at the head of your pump but i cannot tell for sure with the cloudy water. As mentioned above just add water, specifically in your return chamber. Over time you will (likely every few days) have to repeat this process. That's because of evaporation and your pumps return chamber is acting as a buffer for the whole system/ where the missing water shows up. This is why many prefer to use an ATO , auto top off.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Oceanavekid
09/01/2017, 08:38 AM
I suspect the gurgling is your pump sucking some air, which is not good on the pump. This is a result of the low water, it looks like its just at the head of your pump but i cannot tell for sure with the cloudy water. As mentioned above just add water, specifically in your return chamber. Over time you will (likely every few days) have to repeat this process. That's because of evaporation and your pumps return chamber is acting as a buffer for the whole system/ where the missing water shows up. This is why many prefer to use an ATO , auto top off.

Might have o make an ATO

Going to try to dial the pump down a bit and see if that helps

ca1ore
09/01/2017, 09:08 AM
Without an ATO, you need to determine high and low water marks in the return chamber. Turn off the pump, fill the sump to the highest possible level, turn on the pump and wait for equilibrium to be reached - mark the level in the return chamber as the high water mark. Then, with pump still running, remove water to the point just before the pump starts sucking air, that's the low water mark. I'd keep the level a few inches above the low mark. Keep in mind that any evaporation will 'show' only in the final return section of the sump. With my system, for example, the return section drops by 2 inches per day without an ATO. Dialing back the pump will help initially, but evaporation will still happen and the 'problem' will resume.

Clowning_Around
09/01/2017, 12:10 PM
Might have o make an ATO

Going to try to dial the pump down a bit and see if that helpsI wouldn't dial it back that only will effect your flow not the volume, you May observe a some residual difference from the flow change but it's really a volume issue not a flow issue. Manual fill or ato, in the interim just do some manual topping to see how much of a hassle/frwquent it is for your system. Depending on setup it could be evry day or once a week which could be done when cleaning.

Clowning_Around
09/01/2017, 12:18 PM
On a side note once you get that water level up and stop sucking up air in your pump youll loose some of that aeration and your water will appear clearer. And you'll have more flow too

Oceanavekid
09/01/2017, 12:53 PM
On a side note once you get that water level up and stop sucking up air in your pump youll loose some of that aeration and your water will appear clearer. And you'll have more flow too

Water looked dirty because I had just added sand. Looks much better now

I'll try filling up all the way and see if I can mark the water level. It seems like the return isn't filling to the "water level" line on the sump. I've filled it up till the pump was under water and the pump sucked it up and made it under the water level line. I didn't have time to mess with it too much last night. Going to try and fix it after work

mcgyvr
09/01/2017, 01:19 PM
You just need to add more water.. plain and simple..
A few minutes at most after startup the water level in the return section will stabilize.. At that point you simple add more water until its at the desired normal water level.. After doing so the level in the return section only will rise..

Lsufan
09/01/2017, 08:03 PM
With that small return section in the sump u will really need a ato. If u forget to top off only one day u may run the pump dry. It seems to me u need more water like everyone else mentioned but what did u end up doing with your drain. Your post about your drain had me confused but I didn't see what u ended up doing. A inconsistent drain can make the return sections water level flunctuate & with your sump it wouldn't take much at all to mess with the water level in the return section

Oceanavekid
09/01/2017, 11:44 PM
With that small return section in the sump u will really need a ato. If u forget to top off only one day u may run the pump dry. It seems to me u need more water like everyone else mentioned but what did u end up doing with your drain. Your post about your drain had me confused but I didn't see what u ended up doing. A inconsistent drain can make the return sections water level flunctuate & with your sump it wouldn't take much at all to mess with the water level in the return section

I didn't have enough water in my display tank. After adding more water it seems to work well. Definitely getting an ATO soon

Have my skimmer running to try and break it in and man is it loud lol. That too seems to work well. Can't wait to see what it does in a few weeks when I'm able to add fish to the tank.