PDA

View Full Version : Seachem Vibrant Sea (New Salt)

BlackTip
09/01/2017, 07:55 AM
As most of you already know, Seachem Reef Salt was discontinued. The replacement is Seachem Vibrant Sea.

My concern is the high Potassium content. At 1.023, it contains 500-550 ppm of Potassium.

I contacted customer service for more info, and they recommended to mix the water at 1.023. I have been mixing my water at 1.026.

- Should I go down to 1.023? NSW is 1.026. Any side effects of doing so?

- Everywhere I read they warn against overdosing Potassium. NSW is 400 PPM. At 550 ppm, is there any side effects?

Thanks,

bertoni
09/01/2017, 03:35 PM
Running at SG 1.023 is likely to be more problematic than the higher potassium level. If I were worried, I would switch salt products, but I suspect that the potassium level will be safe enough, although I'd do small water changes and watch the tank carefully for a while. Keeping a lower-potassium salt on hand for change might be a good idea, too.

Potatohead
09/01/2017, 03:44 PM
So annoying. Reef Salt was great, and now this stuff. I haven't heard any good reason why they have extra potassium in there other than marketing reasons, and everyone I talk to says having potassium slightly low is better than having it high. I think this salt is going to bomb.

tmz
09/02/2017, 10:53 AM
1.023 is marginally very low for many corals. K at 550 ppm could also be harmful to aquatic life.

While there isn' t much out there on toxicity levels for corals ,fish and other reeftank life; there is a good deal of information on hyperkaelemeia in humans and the toxic effects of elevated potassium in plants. So, I'm careful to keep it around the nsw value of 400ppm.

BlackTip
09/03/2017, 08:48 AM
Thank you very much. You confirmed my reasons to worry.

I've been using Reef Salt for more than a year with great result and stability. I just don't understand the reason behind messing with a good and proven formula. I am going to switch to Fritz RPM.

Edit:
I was looking at available salt on F&S, and now they have their own brand - Live Aquaria Reef Salt. The packaging and advertised parameters are exactly the same as Fritz RPM.

Is it possible that Live Aquaria brand is the same as Fritz RPM? I think it is very possible.

bertoni
09/03/2017, 09:24 PM
I suspect that vendors could be using a common manufacturer, but I don't know whether they'd use the same formula. That'd make sense to cut down costs, though.

cwschoon
09/22/2017, 08:32 AM
any updates on Vibrant Sea? Using RC now but am curious.

trueperc
09/22/2017, 11:07 AM
Curious on this as well. Out Big Al's up here just decided to stop carrying any instant ocean products and will apparently only be carrying this salt.

cwschoon
09/22/2017, 12:36 PM
That was purely a business decision on Big Al’s part. They do carry Kent.

HowardW
10/09/2017, 09:53 PM
<<< My concern is the high Potassium content. At 1.023, it contains 500-550 ppm of Potassium.

I contacted customer service for more info, and they recommended to mix the water at 1.023. >>>

That sounds absurd to me for a company to make a salt with such a high potassium content and then suggest a 'remedy' by mixing your water to a lower SG to compensate. And I'm actually a big fan of Seachem products.

bertoni
10/09/2017, 10:38 PM
I think it's ridiculous, too.