PDA

View Full Version : A few questions re: Nitrate

nycjwi
09/01/2017, 08:49 AM
i started a 20 gallon Red Sea Max Nano two weeks ago with Live rock, Live sand and ocean water. I have total of 10 snails/hermit crabs, 2 clown fish and one damsel and so far my levels, which i check every day are as follows
ph 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate - 20

I recently started checking
calcium 460
phosphate 0
KH 12

After a water change my Nitrates are at 0 and 7 days later they are at 20. I will do 10-20 % water change every week.

My questions are the following -
As the tank seasons will the Nitrate levels not come up as high by 7th day? At what point should I start dosing to keep Nitrate levels lower .5 area.

Also at what point can I start adding soft corals and other more sensitive things to the tank?

thanks!

Tripod1404
09/01/2017, 08:54 AM
Nitrate levels will come up and not drop to zero unless you use some export techniques. So you don't need to think about nitrate dosing right now. With fish it will be hard to drop anyways.

Also make sure your kit is working properly. With 20% water change your nitrates should have dropped to ~16ppm, not zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
09/01/2017, 10:11 AM
i
1) As the tank seasons will the Nitrate levels not come up as high by 7th day?
2)At what point should I start dosing to keep Nitrate levels lower .5 area.

3)Also at what point can I start adding soft corals and other more sensitive things to the tank?

thanks!

1) Maybe.. maybe not.. As tanks "mature" a bit the bacterial colonies seem to be more capable of sufficient denitrification.. But many always have problems with nitrates and look to other means of export or prevention via macroalgae sections, turf scrubbers, skimmers, carbon dosing, etc..

2)Carbon dosing is the only type of "dosing" that helps with nitrates.. People also dose for cal/alk/mag levels,etc... Carbon dosing can be started whenever you want..
You start cal/alk/mag dosing when your water change schedule isn't keeping levels stable as the consumption from corals,etc.. is happening faster than water changes are replenishing it

3)In general once a tank is cycled you can start adding corals,etc.. Corals need stable parameters and many (most SPS/LPS) do not like elevated nutrient levels.. Others (softies in general) aren't as bothered by higher nitrates,etc...