PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth the risk? Super tempting

five.five-six
09/01/2017, 09:55 AM
A fellow reefer has asked me to keep his large selection corals in my tank so he can take a break. He is frustrated with his fight with montipora eating nudibranchs.

My understanding is that even if all the monitoa are discarded, there is still a chance of introduction of this pest into my tank from other species. I currently don't have any monties but would like to in the future.

If his coral are introduced into my tank without any monties, will they starved out or is this a decision I will regret forever?

windlasher
09/01/2017, 10:16 AM
A fellow reefer has asked me to keep his large selection corals in my tank so he can take a break. He is frustrated with his fight with montipora eating nudibranchs.

My understanding is that even if all the monitoa are discarded, there is still a chance of introduction of this pest into my tank from other species. I currently don't have any monties but would like to in the future.

If his coral are introduced into my tank without any monties, will they starved out or is this a decision I will regret forever?

Why don't either you or him set up a QT tank that you can treat for the problem? Kind of silly to intentionally introduce a pest into your tank if you ask me.

bif24701
09/01/2017, 11:22 AM

If there are no montis they will die of starvation within a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

five.five-six
09/01/2017, 11:29 AM
Why don't either you or him set up a QT tank that you can treat for the problem? Kind of silly to intentionally introduce a pest into your tank if you ask me.

I offered him up my 29 gallon BioCube which would support the Monty's but he's just kind of sick of it for the time being. If I don't have any montipora and the new drinks will just die within a month, what is the downside?

Cheapreef
09/02/2017, 12:32 AM
You don't have to get rid of the montis. I had a large outbreak from a cap frag. Dipped in Bayer, scrubbed them all down as best I could back in the tank. Bought a yellow coris wrasse the next day, haven't seen a nudibranch in a year or so. All my montis made it and I've added a few since without any issues.

five.five-six
09/02/2017, 04:50 AM
Dipped in Bayre?

Cheapreef
09/02/2017, 09:47 AM
Dipped in Bayre?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCAY9ljsMWE

ca1ore
09/02/2017, 07:11 PM
Many wrasses will make short work of the nudis.

five.five-six
09/02/2017, 07:50 PM
Many wrasses will make short work of the nudis.

It's sounding better.

cFloor
09/03/2017, 02:26 PM
I would never add anyone's corals to my tank without going through my QT procedure. Not worth the risk