PDA

View Full Version : Tank stabilization

FishNDip
09/01/2017, 11:25 AM
Hey guys, this is probably a silly concern of mine, but I'll be moving to FL from Cali soon and I'm taking my live rock, sand, sponges (seeded), filtration white things (sorry :frog:), corals and snails. The filtration media is going to take 2 weeks to get there, but the corals will be shipped with priority. Once I'm there I'll make a make shift tank with a seeded sponge, minimal water flow and maybe outdoor light? Going to get water from the fish store before my old water comes.

So first off, no guarantee, but does that sound suitable for coral and snails in two weeks?
And once I have all my rocks, sand etc, put into my smaller tank in FL I assume my tank will stabilize pretty fast, yes?

Thanks for the help :thumbsup:

neilp2006
09/01/2017, 12:04 PM
There's really no point shipping water- all the good bacteria that make up the 'filtration' are in the sand and rocks.

Also, if the rocks and sand are going to be traveling fir 2 weeks- make sure they are kept at least wet, and ideally with heat and a bit of flow. Drying out and stagnating will kill off a lot of the bacteria and other critters, and lead to a new ammonia spike once you get them in the new tank. You'll pretty much have to start the cycle again to repopulate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcgyvr
09/01/2017, 12:16 PM
As stated a vast majority of the bacteria is attached to the rock and sand and very little is free floating in the water.. There is no point in shipping/keeping the old water..

You should overnight enough rock to fill the temporary tank (1/2lb per gallon or so and yes keep it fully submerged in water) so that there is little to no cycle and should have a bottle of prime on hand just in case..

I don't use sponges or whatever filtration white things are so there is no need to ship those IMO either.. And I'm not sure why its going to take 2 weeks but its going to be dead when it gets there after that time and will be more harm than good..

And chance you can get something started in Florida a few weeks before you get there?

Heck.. where are you moving to? If anywhere near Tampa then your solution is simple (local pick up of TBS rock when you get there and done)
Or contact them to discuss having rock shipped to you there..

FishNDip
09/02/2017, 01:11 AM
As stated a vast majority of the bacteria is attached to the rock and sand and very little is free floating in the water.. There is no point in shipping/keeping the old water..

You should overnight enough rock to fill the temporary tank (1/2lb per gallon or so and yes keep it fully submerged in water) so that there is little to no cycle and should have a bottle of prime on hand just in case..

I don't use sponges or whatever filtration white things are so there is no need to ship those IMO either.. And I'm not sure why its going to take 2 weeks but its going to be dead when it gets there after that time and will be more harm than good..

And chance you can get something started in Florida a few weeks before you get there?

Heck.. where are you moving to? If anywhere near Tampa then your solution is simple (local pick up of TBS rock when you get there and done)
Or contact them to discuss having rock shipped to you there..

The white stuff is Ceramic Bio Rings (just searched it up :) )

Well there's going to be a shipping company that takes all the stuff from my house to FL. I was planning on putting the live rock in 5 gallon buckets. Why would all the critters be dead? During the day they'll be jostled around a superficial flow and I guess only at night they could lose oxygen? But they are not using very much up. Also I've seen fish stores keep live rock in dark boxes of water. (with flow though) Maybe I could add a bubbler to the bucket?
Perhaps the moving company would take a week? 2 weeks at the most.
Moving out close to Cape Canaveral.

I honestly don't want to ship live rock, but maybe I could buy a piece up there and place it in the coral tank?

Isn't TBS rock in the Tampa bay? Can you swim down there and get it or is it private property?? :hmm2:

Ron Reefman
09/02/2017, 04:43 AM
TBS has a private lease of bottom space in the Gulf of Mexico. If you are caught diving and taking LR you would be prosecuted. Also, taking LR from the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean anywhere in Florida is illegal and you wouldn't believe the fines. Seriously! Stony corals are all illegal as well, you could end up with a $1000 fine for one small frag! I've been checked by FWC (Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission) a number of times when I've been snorkeling.

On the other hand, with a Florida Saltwater Fishing License there are a number of things you can collect from the water in limited quantities for personal use (but not LR or stony corals).

Where about in Florida are you moving to?

Here is an idea of what you can do in Florida:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2511350&highlight=snorkeling

FishNDip
09/02/2017, 09:59 PM
TBS has a private lease of bottom space in the Gulf of Mexico. If you are caught diving and taking LR you would be prosecuted. Also, taking LR from the Gulf of Mexico or the Atlantic Ocean anywhere in Florida is illegal and you wouldn't believe the fines. Seriously! Stony corals are all illegal as well, you could end up with a $1000 fine for one small frag! I've been checked by FWC (Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission) a number of times when I've been snorkeling.

On the other hand, with a Florida Saltwater Fishing License there are a number of things you can collect from the water in limited quantities for personal use (but not LR or stony corals).

Where about in Florida are you moving to?

Here is an idea of what you can do in Florida:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2511350&highlight=snorkeling

Thanks I'll check it out. I'll be near Cape Canaveral.
So do you think the live rock and sand will be alright on a moving truck in 5 gal buckets? Kinda worried it won't now... :worried:
Also heard that reusing your old sand can be buy? Because it stirs up unwanted stuff. Or is it worth using old sand for stability?

mcgyvr
09/03/2017, 07:12 AM
I do not think you will be able to avoid a cycle due to excessive die off in the rock and I would not use old sand ever..

mikem101
09/03/2017, 07:28 AM
+1 with mcgyvr

That far of a transfer is nearly impossible to do all in one tank! you will have tons of die off which will cause a cycle.
The only way I see this happening is if you set up a frag tank for when your coral gets there! and setup your DT let it go through a cycle (will take the normal amount of time not really any faster than the first time) and then start loading it back up.
No need for water from your store as others have mentioned doesn't really do much for you.
Also would not use your old sand would get some new sand from your LFS or online!

Your pretty much going to be setting up a new tank or restarting, you will just not have to go through the process of buying all the coral since you already have it all lol!

Ron Reefman
09/03/2017, 03:07 PM
Odds are you'll have a cycle, that's not such a big deal.

As for your sand, 2 options: 1. pitch it, 2. put it in buckets, stick a garden hose in it and flush it until the water overflowing the bucket runs clean. Then it's A-OK to use. BTW, all the sand in my 4 tanks was free from others who didn't want to clean it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

FishNDip
09/04/2017, 12:52 AM
Ok So I'm going to have a cycle, but will it be a 6 month cycle? I'm planning on getting an anemone and you have to wait 6 months on a new tank to get one.

After all the live rock will still be "live" When it gets there. And I can use old sponges to up the process. (I might stick a air hose down the bucket to keep the rock more stabilized.

on the spot
09/04/2017, 01:30 PM
...I'll be moving to FL from Cali soon and I'm taking my live rock, sand, sponges (seeded), filtration white things (sorry :frog:), corals and snails. The filtration media is going to take 2 weeks to get there, but the corals will be shipped with priority...

I'd unload the livestock and start over. Your rock and sand will be fine.

or arrange to have the coral shipped @ a much later date from your LFS if you are that attached.

FishNDip
09/04/2017, 05:34 PM
I'd unload the livestock and start over. Your rock and sand will be fine.

or arrange to have the coral shipped @ a much later date from your LFS if you are that attached.

A much later time as in how long? Hoping my tank will stabilize within a month of rock transfer. Then I'll get the nem. Well all the coral I'm taking with me are hardy. Like GPS, polyps, kenya tree, green mushroom and a small frag of hollwood stunner. I think those would survive in store bought salt from the sea until my live rock arrive, then I could but them in my old water and stabalize a tank. I might lose some of them, but considering there cheaper and hardy might be worth the risk.

on the spot
09/04/2017, 08:41 PM
...I might lose some of them, but considering there cheaper and hardy might be worth the risk.

OK then.

good luck with the move.

mikem101
09/04/2017, 09:09 PM
Ok So I'm going to have a cycle, but will it be a 6 month cycle? I'm planning on getting an anemone and you have to wait 6 months on a new tank to get one.

After all the live rock will still be "live" When it gets there. And I can use old sponges to up the process. (I might stick a air hose down the bucket to keep the rock more stabilized.

I would wait at least 3-4 months for a nem only because it's still going to be essentially a brand new tank with live rock. Your sponges will have nothing "live" after 2 weeks it will all be die off. So your pretty much starting a new tank!

FishNDip
09/04/2017, 09:54 PM
I'll definitely take that 3_4 months advice. My estimate of 2 weeks is worst case scenario. It's probably going to take 5 days, so hopefully somethings are living. Crazy thought but maybe some hobbyist in FL will watch my coral for 3 weeks or something. Lol

mikem101
09/04/2017, 09:57 PM
I'll definitely take that 3_4 months advice. My estimate of 2 weeks is worst case scenario. It's probably going to take 5 days, so hopefully somethings are living. Crazy thought but maybe some hobbyist in FL will watch my coral for 3 weeks or something. Lol

Man most LFS would do it I would bet! At least in my experience they usually have one tank they can use as a QT. Why wouldn't they if they did that for you they gain a new customer for your duration in FL. I would for sure call and ask!