PDA

View Full Version : Juvenile Blonde Nassau with white thing in his mouth


xtonydx
09/01/2017, 12:55 PM
I purchased a juvenile Blonde Nassau Tang (about 1 1/2 to 2 inch) about 6 weeks ago. He has been in QT since I brought him home. Got him down into Hypo (1.008 measured with a refractometer) about a week ago. He seems fine, and is eating like a pig (both frozen and Nori). Today I noticed what looks like a piece of Mysis stuck in his mouth? Its white, and isn't around his lips, more inside his mouth. Every now any then he open and closes his mouth in rapid succession, like he is trying to dislodge it.

QT is 29 gallon, bare bottom, fake coral decoration. It has been running for about 6 months. Fully cycled. Ammonia is 0, Nitrites are 0, Nitrates are around 10. I also purchased 2 Benggai cardinals, and an Ocellaris clown at the same time, and they are all fine.

Again, it doesn't seem to be bothering him at all, but it does look like its blocking some of his mouth. Tried taking a picture, but he moves pretty quick, and I haven't had any luck.

Any guesses on what it might be?

Thanks for the help,
Tony D

JustinM
09/01/2017, 02:26 PM
It's possible it is lympho but a pic is needed to really diagnose it. Google pics of lympho on fish and see if it looks like that at all.

Jdub968
09/01/2017, 09:50 PM
It's possible it is lympho but a pic is needed to really diagnose it. Google pics of lympho on fish and see if it looks like that at all.

+1 my first thought would be lymphocyst. He dosent have any other growths on his fins a lot of time lymphocyst can be mistaken for ick

NicoH
09/02/2017, 05:59 AM
Perhaps a tongue eating parasite.

xtonydx
09/02/2017, 09:42 AM
It's definitely not Ick, and it doesn't look like any of the pics on google for lympho. In all of the pics the lymphoma looks like cauliflower on the fins or elsewhere on the body. His fins are completely clear to the eye.

What would cure a toungue eating parasite?

Jdub968
09/02/2017, 11:05 AM
I've never heard of a tunge eating parasite in or hobby other than on Google. Can you get a pic ? It's just a guess otherwise

lagatbezan
09/02/2017, 11:20 AM
Although rare in salt water, you might be dealing with mouth fungus.
Also Have you treated for flukes?

xtonydx
09/02/2017, 01:23 PM
I treated with Prazipro a couple of days ago. Just a couple hours ago I dosed API erythromycin. Between the two, shouldn't that get just about everything?

Jdub968
09/02/2017, 05:19 PM
Erythromycin is Good for mouth fungus, but it's gram pos which will kill nitrifying bacteria so watch ammonia. If it is lymphocyst that's viral and it usually runs its corse in s few weeks. If it don't look better in a few days Kanaplex is a good broad spectrum antibiotic that's gram neg and won't affect the bio filter plus treats fungal and bacterial. If an improvement is noticed I would stick with the erythromycin.