PDA

View Full Version : Tank Re-boot - Bubble algea

pommie
09/01/2017, 06:40 PM
Im just about to re-boot my 700ltr tank. It has the worst case of bubble algae with spores attached inside the overflow, inside or attached to most of my corals as well as on every piece of rock.

Ive left all rock outside in the sun for a few weeks and planned to flush them with RODI for a few weeks. Will that be enough to kill any traces of Bubble algae?

Is there any way to save my coral if the spores are emebbed very deep inside any gaps , branches in the coral?

Once ive emptied my tank of sand and water, what do i need to run inside my tank to kill everything before i start the cycling process again?

Thanks for any advice.

mcgyvr
09/02/2017, 07:08 AM
Out of curiosity what were your nitrate and phosphate readings before you decided to restart the tank?
"bad" algae issues are mostly due to lack of sufficient maintenance/nutrient export.. and if you don't address that the problem will come back..

jda
09/02/2017, 02:51 PM
It will come back. Plan on it. Have some Emerald Crabs from the Florida Keys, or some rabbitfish in the reboot. Even if you were to kill all of it in your tank, the first frag that you get could have it again. All that you can hope to do is contain it in the display - I have a bunch of it in the overflows and stuff.

pommie
09/02/2017, 04:58 PM
Nitrates and Phosphates were all within reasonable limits. My issue was that i used Christmas island rock for my scaping and once a bubble gets in there you have no way of getting it out without removing the rock, in addition i ended up popping a few and it went crazy.

Anyway ive transferred all corals and most livestock so im hoping somebody can advise on the questions above?

I read that running the tank with tap water and a few gallons of vinegar will do the trick of cleaning everything?

So i should i assume to do the same for the rock ive taken out?

What about my corals, are they all doomed as i definitely wont be putting any back in that show the slightest spores.

Thanks