PDA

View Full Version : Candy cane corals not doing well

b_evans06
09/01/2017, 09:14 PM
I have an established 75g tank set up about 2 years. I have a larger colonyof candy cane coral that has grown to 100+ heads. The last week some of the heads down on the side have lost their tissue and died. The ones on top in direct light are fine but the smaller ones that are shaded are dying all around the colony.

The tank specs are alk: 8.5, mag: 1450, cal:420. I use kalk in the top off and dose 2 part when needed. I do 30% water changes every 2 weeks. No recent changes other than I started getting some cyano and my tds in the rodi had went up some. So I changed filters and did another water change about 2 weeks ago. Same lights and flow as always. Can't tell if the problem is getting better. I'm trying to be patient but I'm worrying. All other corals are fine.

shua71
09/02/2017, 01:47 AM
I couldn't keep any candy canes and they constantly died. Eventually found out my tank lacked iodine so now I put in a few drops a day and they are flourishing

nereefpat
09/02/2017, 10:25 AM
Something stinging them? Or a fish picking at them?

b_evans06
09/02/2017, 10:53 AM
Something stinging them? Or a fish picking at them?
Haven't seen any sign of fish picking or an thing. There is a large birdsnest colony on one side but they don't touch I keep it trimmed about 1" away. Also large hammer colony on other side. BUT they never touch. All 3 corals been side by side for over a year.