PDA

View Full Version : Mexican turbo snail isn't doing much

JimON
09/02/2017, 09:17 PM
Hi all. On Wednesday I picked up one of these monsters, thinking it could be a good addition to the CUC. In the 80 hours or so that it has been in the tank, the only thing it has "cleaned up" is knocking my hammer frag down onto the sand from it's perch. It has only moved a few inches in this time frame. I acclimated over a few hours. Salinity 1.024, Alk 8.3, Mag 1360, Cal 420. Nitrates and Phospahates read 0, but this is a pretty new tank and my Chaeto is growing like crazy. Guessing I am leaching phosphate from the Marco rock still and the chaeto is sucking it up. Also have regular turbo, margarita and trochus snails and they are all doing fine and very active. I was under the impression that the Mexican turbo would be like a little lawnmower, but that is not the case with this one. Plenty of algae for it, but does not seem interested. Any ideas as to why not?

ca1ore
09/02/2017, 09:35 PM
Maybe it died ....

JimON
09/02/2017, 09:37 PM
That's what I thought, too, but nope. Still moves when I poke it.

mikem101
09/02/2017, 09:38 PM
Large temp change can really affect those guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimON
09/02/2017, 09:43 PM
Hmmmm.... It was about an hour to home from the LFS where I bought it, and it was pretty warm in Phoenix on Wednesday... I tried to keep the AC pointed at the bag on the way home, but maybe that has something to do with it... Since I put it in the tank, I have only seen temp swings from 81.2 to 81.4.

gprdypoo04
09/02/2017, 10:56 PM
Expecting a miracle? Give him time to adjust. There not a one stop vac shop.

Big E
09/03/2017, 03:20 AM
They need cooler temps-- 77-78 would be better.

They will eater a wider range of algae than most snails but won't live very long at 81+

All snails are very sensitive & sometimes take a few days to adjust to their new environment.

mcgyvr
09/03/2017, 07:35 AM
Patience grasshopper.. patience..

Sometimes Mexicans take a siesta :)
Hard workers need a rest now and then..

NOTHING good happens fast in this hobby..

JimON
09/03/2017, 08:13 AM
Thanks guys... Yes, patience...

Well, overnight, he either fell of the rock and then crawled back up a bit, or crawled down quite a ways. My bet is it fell. Either way, more movement than I have seen.

Yesterday I added a fan to the canopy, and overnight the temp came down to 79.8. Let's see how today progresses.

norfolkgarden
09/03/2017, 08:42 AM
We use a cheap styrofoam cooler to transport anything for the hour ride from the lfs to home.

95 in the summer and 25 in the winter.

That little bag of water can see some crazy temperature swings outside of a cooler.

Hope things go well with your turbo.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

JimON
09/03/2017, 08:53 AM
Yes, I normally bring a cooler also. I was on the other side of town from where I live for a meeting and this store was right down the street from the meeting location. This was a spur of the moment stop, and I was unprepared....:headwallblue:

Edited to add thanks for the well wishes!

deputydawg88
09/03/2017, 11:59 AM
My Mexican Turbo Snails often take very long rests, just give it time as others have said. :)

JimON
09/03/2017, 12:42 PM
Thanks, deputydawg. Will do.:thumbsup:

outssider
09/03/2017, 04:04 PM
I have several large mex turbos for years, they are always on the move and the tank gets 81-83 all summer

JimON
09/04/2017, 06:51 AM
Thanks outssider. Looking more like that is the case. This morning it is back up on top of the rocks from where it fell.:thumbsup:

Adding that the fan in the canopy is doing well. Overnight down to 79.2 this morning.

JimON
09/12/2017, 02:57 PM
Update... Last night I found it upside down with some other members of the CUC on it. Pulled it out and tossed it in the trash. I don't think that it ate a doggone thing in the couple weeks it was in my tank. Oh well, at least it was only $3, and I got it out before there was an ammonia spike. I will try again when they are more readily available at my LFS. Thanks again to those that offered advice!

mcgyvr
09/12/2017, 03:25 PM
And sometimes... fit shappens..

kuzko
09/12/2017, 04:32 PM
My mexican turbo's live in 83.8 degree's and are incredibly happy so I don't believe it to be anything to do with temps. That being said, your first post said "one of these monsters" making me think you have an adult. Adults are not much more active than any other snails, it's the less than 1 year old babies that are super active and "turbo" like. Also, FWIW, some of mine are nocturnal.

Tripod1404
09/12/2017, 04:41 PM
Multiple species of snails are sold under the name of "Mexican turbosnail", this creates a lot of confusion and, I suspect, is the reason why some people can keep them without any problems whereas they die in few weeks for others.

Very similar looking, closely related snails live all the way from central mexico cost to northern British Colombia. The ones collected in southern mexico can live in reef temperatures, ones collected upwards of and including California (and Pacific side of Baja) are cold water species and wont live long in reef temperatures.

kuzko
09/12/2017, 04:54 PM
Multiple species of snails are sold under the name of "Mexican turbosnail", this creates a lot of confusion and, I suspect, is the reason why some people can keep them without any problems whereas they die in few weeks for others.

Very similar looking, closely related snails live all the way from central mexico cost to northern British Colombia. The ones collected in southern mexico can live in reef temperatures, ones collected upwards of and including California (and Pacific side of Baja) are cold water species and wont live long in reef temperatures.

Do you happen to have any sources or info on the other species? Personally I think it's kind of hard to mistake turbo fluctuosa after you see one and I'm not familiar with many other species that get as big (that are sold in the hobby).

Tripod1404
09/12/2017, 05:09 PM
Do you happen to have any sources or info on the other species? Personally I think it's kind of hard to mistake turbo fluctuosa after you see one and I'm not familiar with many other species that get as big (that are sold in the hobby).

Check Turbo funiculosus (lives in pacific baja).

Turbo fluctuosa also has populations living in both sea of cortez and pacific baja and coast of California. Those two waters are considerably different in terms of temperature.

JimON
09/12/2017, 06:26 PM
And sometimes... fit shappens..
Winner winner chicken dinner.:thumbsup:

JimON
09/12/2017, 06:29 PM
My mexican turbo's live in 83.8 degree's and are incredibly happy so I don't believe it to be anything to do with temps. That being said, your first post said "one of these monsters" making me think you have an adult. Adults are not much more active than any other snails, it's the less than 1 year old babies that are super active and "turbo" like. Also, FWIW, some of mine are nocturnal.
Yes, it was somewhere between a golf ball and a baseball in size. Maybe life had run it's course? I was actually surprised to find one at the LFS... Nobody seems to have any right now. Good to know, will look for the babies next time!

JimON
09/12/2017, 06:31 PM
Tripod, this one definitely came from the Sea of Cortez. Will look for another when the time comes again. Thanks for the input!

alsnorkel
09/13/2017, 09:39 AM
Turbos are the best when they are healthy. What are you parameters ?

My Parameters:

sal: 1.025
temp:79.5
dkh:7
PH:8
Amm:0
Nit:0
Cal:550

JimON
09/13/2017, 11:55 AM
Turbos are the best when they are healthy. What are you parameters ?

My Parameters:

sal: 1.025
temp:79.5
dkh:7
PH:8
Amm:0
Nit:0
Cal:550
Most of us are best when healthy, too.:wavehand:

See first post for params.