PDA

View Full Version : Superglue and baking soda

karimwassef
09/03/2017, 11:16 AM
Has anyone tried this?

The idea is that sprinkling hydroxide to the surface immediately solidifies superglue.

Should work with Calcium or sodium hydroxide.

Why? I hate attaching a big coral with superglue only to have the glue smear and weaken because it was too big or at a weird angle. This is supposed to make the bond very strong and cure nearly immediately.

A dip in a bucket of tank water should wash away any excess

karimwassef
09/03/2017, 11:19 AM
I use epoxy sticks too but they take more work and take up more space - and more obvious.

Gorgok
09/03/2017, 09:06 PM
I used basically that to build my rocks. Arrange rocks to get 3+ contact points. Super glue areas, sprinkle with powdered rock (poked out holes of dry rock to get a ton of it). Repeat to build the joint to a reasonable size and blend the two pieces together.

It also dried very quick because of the sprinkling so assembly was pretty easy.

karimwassef
09/03/2017, 09:34 PM
The powder makes it into a stronger matrix but the idea of the hydroxides is that it reacts with the CA

UTCReefer
09/04/2017, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't do that since its going to have a really high ph and is going to burn the coral. The curing of CA is exothermic and that's why you need to cure it under water so that it doesn't burn the coral too.

karimwassef
09/04/2017, 12:15 PM
The powder is a very small quantity and dipping it in water or spraying it should complete the reaction quickly.