PDA

View Full Version : Schooling Fish for a 240G

reeferjames1
09/03/2017, 12:20 PM
any recommendations? new tank set up not running yet. just planning out the stocking.

velvetelvis
09/04/2017, 10:24 AM
Threadfin cardinals (Zoramia leptacantha) are beautiful, especially if you're keeping staghorn corals. Margarita cardinals (Ostorinchus margaritophorus) are also supposed to be a peaceful shoaling species.

I keep masked gobies (Coryphopterus personatus), which shoal together nicely and are very peaceful. But they're very tiny so they might get lost in such a big system. Their size also puts them at risk of predation from many other fish--I lost several to a royal gramma before I got him out of the tank.

reeferjames1
09/04/2017, 12:05 PM
Great info, thank you

Mr. Eel
09/04/2017, 04:49 PM
You may be able to have 3 or 4 convict tangs which supposedly are peaceful towards each other and will school but that is not firsthand experience that is liveaquaria and a few other sources.

carrots
09/04/2017, 08:29 PM
Bartlett Anthias are great fish as are Chromis; blue reef or the blue/green. As long as you can feed 3x a day.

nereefpat
09/05/2017, 03:03 PM
Anthias would be my suggestion as well. With such a large tank, you could get enough to have a harem (5-7). Lyretails seem to be the most hardy.

jeffmol54
09/06/2017, 02:23 PM
a harlem of clowns would look sick

ca1ore
09/06/2017, 07:42 PM
Not to get technical, but fish don't school in our tanks - not big enough and lacks predators. They will shoal periodically, and the suggestions made in this thread already are good ones.

saf1
09/06/2017, 09:34 PM
Not to get technical, but fish don't school in our tanks - not big enough and lacks predators. They will shoal periodically, and the suggestions made in this thread already are good ones.

Always one killjoy has to post this :(

Half Vaped
09/06/2017, 10:44 PM
Always one killjoy has to post this :(

I get annoyed whenever someone points out the Clownfish don't host Anemones; Anemones host Clownfish. It's a true fact, but seriously, who cares?

When it comes to schooling, I think it's valid to point out that fish don't truly school in most of our tanks. Perhaps the OP was expecting fish that swim tightly together in synchronization. They would be disappointed to have fish that only loosely shoal.

For fish that shoal tightly together, I would wholeheartedly recommend Dispar Anthias or Red-spot Cardinals or their similar relatives.

saf1
09/06/2017, 10:50 PM
I get annoyed whenever someone points out the Clownfish don't host Anemones; Anemones host Clownfish. It's a true fact, but seriously, who cares?

When it comes to schooling, I think it's valid to point out that fish don't truly school in most of our tanks. Perhaps the OP was expecting fish that swim tightly together in synchronization. They would be disappointed to have fish that only loosely shoal.

For fish that shoal tightly together, I would wholeheartedly recommend Dispar Anthias or Red-spot Cardinals or their similar relatives.

I know. There are a lot of things in the hobby like this and the poster did say "technically speaking". I get it - maybe I just should have minded my own business :) Didn't mean anything bad.

Regarding Anthias - would it be worth while to mention feeding requirements? Also, are there some that keep their color more than others (not sure if that is dietary). I know they are on my list with my 240 upgrade which is why I always follow the stocking list threads.

ca1ore
09/07/2017, 11:40 PM

Fair enough, though apparently I care enough to have bothered to actually put it into my sig :lol:. What annoys me is ignorance (and bad English; although that's mostly a lost cause these days).

saf1
09/07/2017, 11:56 PM
Fair enough, though apparently I care enough to have bothered to actually put it into my sig :lol:. What annoys me is ignorance (and bad English; although that's mostly a lost cause these days).

Maybe it is OCD. Forums, email, and other forms of brief communication and/or entertainment shouldn't be considered a forum for a doctoral dissertation. Especially something global like a internet forum whereas English may not be a primary language.

Don't get me wrong - there are a lot of things I learn every day to include reading this forum. I guess for me if it is something I just have to ignore those irritations and pick when it is worth it. You probably do that I'd wager based on your post count ;)

Then here I am derailing this thread even more and I sure in the heck didn't mean any hostilities. If it helps any I did make note of some of the fish because, well, I'm finishing up a 240 as well. Go figure...

ca1ore
09/08/2017, 12:12 AM
No 'maybe', OCD is an occupational hazard in reef keeping. Not sure pointing out that an anemone is the host is a doctoral dissertation though :)

The most success I have had with fish groups in my tanks are resplendent anthias. They remain quite small and are easily spooked by larger fish like tangs. In that sense they do shoal. Trouble is getting them enough to eat give how shy they are.

JZinCO
09/08/2017, 12:35 AM
Maybe it is OCD. Forums, email, and other forms of brief communication and/or entertainment shouldn't be considered a forum for a doctoral dissertation. Especially something global like a internet forum whereas English may not be a primary language.
grammer still needs us though.
because the meaning precisely defines the object and the subject
*Kinda sounds goofy when the subjects are acted upon and objects are doing the acting, right?*

It's not a dissertation, it's 2nd grade composition. That's like saying, yeah you can calculate gallons by L*W*H/231 but L*W*231/H is just as good. we got all the parts, you understand my semantics so who but a mathematician would care about syntax. It's not like the meaning or math solution changes right?
Wouldn't you agree that, if there are non-native English speakers, it becomes more pertinent to write correctly in order to avoid being lost in translation?
BTW, ca1ore, I'm working on my diss. I recognize who hosts who(m?). Can I get my doctorate now?

..worth derailing.

I say go small and go plentiful. +1 on masked gobies

saf1
09/08/2017, 12:19 PM
grammer still needs us though.
because the meaning precisely defines the object and the subject
*Kinda sounds goofy when the subjects are acted upon and objects are doing the acting, right?*

It's not a dissertation, it's 2nd grade composition. That's like saying, yeah you can calculate gallons by L*W*H/231 but L*W*231/H is just as good. we got all the parts, you understand my semantics so who but a mathematician would care about syntax. It's not like the meaning or math solution changes right?
Wouldn't you agree that, if there are non-native English speakers, it becomes more pertinent to write correctly in order to avoid being lost in translation?
BTW, ca1ore, I'm working on my diss. I recognize who hosts who(m?). Can I get my doctorate now?

..worth derailing.

I say go small and go plentiful. +1 on masked gobies

Well, this is only going to derail this thread further but my comment was directed to a response by ca1ore (not picking on you, seriously). The one about bad English and lost cause. Thus me saying email, internet forums, among other things should not be considered doctoral dissertations - because bad English is bound to happen for many different reasons (both technical and laziness). So no, I don't agree. But that is OK and hopefully we can still be friends :)

Now that I am writing this I know everyone has a pet peeve. I should have heeded my own and not replied :) Ca1ore - sorry.

On resplendent anthias. Not sure why but I thought they are difficult due to feeding requirements (auto feeder would solve that I guess) and/or lose color. Similar to Bartlett's. Resplendent's are the right size but my LFS sells them for about 50 bucks each. Purchasing six or seven of them is going to be expensive.

I do like the idea of smaller fish with maybe one or two larger fish mixed in. Only issue for me is that I have also considered adding a Marine Beta and a Bluegill Longfin (https://reefs.com/2011/07/06/pushing-the-boundaries-and-breaking-the-mold-plesiops-corallicola-bluegill-longfin/). Neither meet the shoal requirement the OP asked but since those are two fish I would like to have it does introduce issues :)

ca1ore
09/08/2017, 01:19 PM

Nice .... whom ..... I'm English so I still feel the need to break out a whilst every now and then.

this is me
09/08/2017, 01:22 PM
I love the blue reef chromis. However, their suvivability and schooling is the same as the green/blue chromis. If price is an issue, I would get the green/blue chromis.
Lyretail anthias are my favorite for getting that reef look. I always have them.
As mentioned before, these fish don't school. You can get a harem of 5-9 of them, but they still do not school. 1 will go south, the other two will go north, the other 2 will go east and the remaining one decides not to go in any direction. They're just everywhere in the tank.

ca1ore
09/08/2017, 01:22 PM
Well, this is only going to derail this thread further but my comment was directed to a response by ca1ore (not picking on you, seriously). The one about bad English and lost cause. Thus me saying email, internet forums, among other things should not be considered doctoral dissertations - because bad English is bound to happen for many different reasons (both technical and laziness). So no, I don't agree. But that is OK and hopefully we can still be friends :)

Now that I am writing this I know everyone has a pet peeve. I should have heeded my own and not replied :) Ca1ore - sorry.

No worries, we're all friends here ..... and FWIW you have a point about non-English speaking contributors. Unfortunately, bad English is rampant amongst English speakers as well. At the end of the day I can live with it here, but as a father to two teenaged boys I want them to at least seem smart when they speak ... none of this 'he runs good' stuff.

Half Vaped
09/08/2017, 07:51 PM

I thought I was actually defending your statement about schooling vs. shoaling. If I bothered to look at your sig, I would have brought up a different common nitpick so I wouldn't have inadvertently insulted you while defending you. :facepalm: I hope you understand I meant no disrespect. I get annoyed by improper English usage as well, but am slowly learning to let things go.

There's a significant difference between true schooling and merely shoaling, so it makes sense to make sure everyone's on the same page on what behavior we're all talking about. However, nobody ever expects an Anemone to start living on their Clownfish. But that would be pretty awesome.

And back on the main topic... I feel I should backtrack a bit on my recommendations for Dispar Anthias and Red-Spot Cardinals. They're great fish that shoal tightly, but are not for beginners. You need to be dedicated to feeding multiple times a day and willing to put up with the heartbreak of losing half or more of the fish you start off with.

Other smaller, peaceful Anthias, such as Resplendent and Ignatus Anthias shoal just as tightly as Dispars, but are about equally difficult. Some of the larger, slightly aggressive Anthias, such as Lyretails and Bartlett's, are easier to keep, but don't shoal as tightly. I only have personal experience with Dispars.

I have no experience with any of the Cardinals the other posters mentioned, but I believe they're bigger and easier to keep than the Red-Spots. And they might not shoal as tightly.

ca1ore
09/09/2017, 09:48 AM
All good ..... I shall continue to edumacate where I can, dispel myths when I see them ..... and hope others will do the same for me.

Agree with the comments on anthias (or pseudoanthias if I may be allowed another technicality :)). I have little trouble with the big species (though I don't keep Lyretails anymore) but they don't really shoal much. Smaller species are tricky in my tank - there are just too many pigs with fins and the small fish often don't get adequate food.