PDA

View Full Version : What Fish /inverts to rid of coral pests

Louis Z
09/03/2017, 11:26 AM
Want to set up a QT tank for sps corals . Would like to set up a 40 gL breeder to house new corals . Want to know which animals eat the coral pests . What is your recommendation? Six line wrasse? arrow crab? Springeri damsel? What are also the dips to use before introduction. Coral Rx, Dr G.s what is everyone's recommendation. I keep reading that reefers still put new acquisitions into their DT and later find pests . I can't afford that route and want to start right . I am firm believer in several months of Qt on fish and want to do the same for corals.

Alfrareef
09/03/2017, 11:55 AM
I've got a 4 line wrasse and it's great. Only problem is that he also killed all my shrimps and crabs...
The green crab was also great...

Usernam Invalid
09/03/2017, 12:57 PM
Six line wrasse, corridor wrasse Springer damsel.
I use coral Rx dipped once a week for 4 weeks. If I see anything questionable it just gets tossed in the bin.

Louis Z
09/03/2017, 03:12 PM
my initial idea is to have 3x 20gal tanks set up with used DT water. use Coral RX as a dip before I put new coral in 20gal tall tank with just enough water to keep them covered and then move them to the next 20 the next day and repeat at least 4 times more. then put them in a full 20gal tank for about a month for observation. then the final month in the tank with the recommended fish and inverts. so also thinking of including fluconazole treatment in addition to using DR. G solution in the first month of observation. with all this tx would this sound too much and lead to stress on the coral? as for fish I am seeing that clown gobies also are good at predation and I also am thinking of a foxface in the 40 gal breeder in addition to the above mentioned fish and green crab and peppermint shrimps

Alfrareef
09/03/2017, 05:04 PM
Go ahead, but don't push on chemicals and be careful with water chemistry when changing from one tank to other.