PDA

View Full Version : Bleached rock's. Still smells??


lucky777
09/03/2017, 04:02 PM
So if I had barely used dry rock. Did a 1/20 bleach bath for a day. Then 2 days ro water soak with a change each day. Then 24 hrs in sun. Then 24hr ro then another 24 hour soak, sun dry for 24hr and then air dry for 24hr.

It still smells like bleach. Safe?

Dan_P
09/03/2017, 05:52 PM
The odor might be a mixture of choramines, mono, di, and tri, which are smelly compounds that form quickly when chlorine and ammonia react. If the rock is porous, all these compounds may have made there way deep into the rocks. Chloramines are destroyed by UV but that would not happen for the chloramines inside the rock. Diffusion of these compounds from the rocks could be a slow process.

Organic amines like ammonia can react with chlorine to produce malodorous products. Reaction with organic compounds can also produce toxic and carcinogenic products.

Rocks treated with chlorine could contain a witch's brew of chemicals and it would be difficult to say if and when they are safe to use in an aquarium.

bertoni
09/03/2017, 10:37 PM
If you can smell bleach, there's some leftovers, but I suspect that the amount is small. I'd put the rock into a tank with water and treat it with a dechlorinator. Are you setting up a new tank, or adding rock to an existing one? A dip in vinegar dilutes 10:1 with should remove a lot of bleach, as well.