PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer and Lighting suggestion

nogascans
09/04/2017, 08:33 AM
I need some advice on a skimmer and lighting for new tank build.

Backdrop:

finally got approval from check writer to upgrade tank (older tank has failing stand) and she has picked out a Red Sea Reefer Peninsula 650. She wants to use as a room divider between Living Room and Dining Room. She is not especially fond of hanging fixtures (though she has shown some interest in the low profile lamps, provided I can keep clean lines to hanging wires). Living Room also has a 65" LED on wall at 90 degrees and 12 foot from tank location, so I have some concerns on light spill. Room has 8 foot ceilings.

Current tank is a 48" wide Euro tank (bowfront) mixed reef with heavy SPS. I plan on moving all rock and stock to new tank, adding new sand.

I have a return pump already (Current USA eFlux LOOP DC Flow Return Pump 3170GPH).

I will need a skimmer for new system as current Super Reef Octopus is a HOB unit. I may be able to resell my SRO-XP1000S for ? ($) ?

I have a pair of MP40WES Quiet Drive pumps for reuse. I also already use the Reeflink for pump programming and control.

Figure to get tank and stand up, plumbed, and filled with water. Then the fun begins.

For lighting: I cannot reuse my ebay 6 bulb 36" FT5HO fixture.

Proposed tank dimensions are 63" long x 25.2 " wide x 23.6" tall.

Option #1 is the Hydra 26HD (4 lights) that are offered as option with tank with hanging fixture. One stop solution and use WIFi for setup and control. Adds $1,400 to budget.

Option #2 is the Hydra 26HD (3 lights) with an end to end tank mount kit, add an additional light as budget allows. Add $1300 +to budget, with possibly add an additional lamp later. Final cost $1800.00

Option #3 is the Ecotech XR15 pro Gen 4 (3 each) with rail kit or tank hanging kit. Adds $1500.00 to budget, with possibly add an additional lamp later. Final cost roughly $2000. Note: I do like the ability to utilize the Reeflink for programming and control.

Option #4 is an ATI Sunpower 48" 8 bulb T5HO fixture, add some reefbrites. With new bulbs in the $1000 range. Repeated cost for bulb replacement at 10 months of $176 > forward. Corals currently under T5 so little in change expected with regards to adjustment.

Is there any need for a 60" fixture?

Of these choices, which will have the least amount of light spill at recommended hanging height? Really want to try and get this right the 1st time, and if needed, I can put off the move to new tank until I can finance the lighting.

Thoughts, recommendations?

thanks in advance for looking and any advice.

Sincerely,

David

Vinny Kreyling
09/04/2017, 09:01 AM
Can't speak for your choices but as far as fixture length --
Many people use a shorter length fixture & put lower light corals neat the ends.
A 60" will make the ends need cleaning more often. A 48" unit leaves 6" on the ends.
Acceptable in my book.

nogascans
09/04/2017, 09:52 AM
Thanks for the response! Makes sense to me (length)

Sincerely,

David

Vinny Kreyling
09/04/2017, 04:12 PM
David, Just take a look @ the new Photon V2 from Reefbreeders.
They get great reviews from everyone who has them & would save you some money to boot.
There is a big thread here on RC about them.

jda
09/04/2017, 07:40 PM
48 vs 60 is purely up to you. If you want to grow stuff from glass to glass on the sides, then 60 is for you. If you are OK with some tapered coral/scape and even some lower light stuff on the ends, then 48" is fine. If you end up with T5s, the replacement bulbs cost nearly the same for either 48 or 60.

I have a 7 foot tank and 6 foot fixture just annoyed me for a few years - I wanted the real estate back. In actuality, any light is a bit weak on the ends since it only gets light from above and one side, rather than both sides, and the output about 12" from each end was weak (not just the six inches that did not have any light). I ended up bolting a light on each end to cover up the missing area.