PDA

View Full Version : Stocking list/order for 90g. Thoughts?

Cruiznblue
09/04/2017, 10:26 PM
Here's what I'm considering once my tank is ready...in order:

- Black Ice Clownfish (x2)
- Helfrechi Firefish
- McCosker's Flasher Wrasse
- Chalk Basslett (x2), Yellowstriped Cardinal (x2), or Blue Chromis (x2)
- Goby/pistol shrimp
- Flameback Angelfish
- Kole Tang

I prefer smaller fish, so I can add a few more hopefully...rather than having larger/heavier bioload fish. The tang likely wouldn't be added for at least a year, assuming all else is well in the tank.

Have 55g sump/refugium setup (will hold roughly 45g).

Any thoughts/feedback would be appreciated!

Joshua I.
09/05/2017, 05:54 AM
I like to go and stock on the heavier side your list not only sounds fine but like you can get away with adding a few more fish

mike61289
09/05/2017, 06:10 AM
Great list and you can probably stock them the way they're listed. Maybe add the angel and tang at the same time since both can be jerks to new fish.

Do you have a cleanup crew in mind already?

Cruiznblue
09/05/2017, 11:27 AM
Great list and you can probably stock them the way they're listed. Maybe add the angel and tang at the same time since both can be jerks to new fish.

Do you have a cleanup crew in mind already?

Not as of yet... probably keep it relatively simple with a cleaner shrimp and various hermits/snails. Maybe sexy shrimp down the road.

nereefpat
09/05/2017, 01:40 PM
Great list for a 90, IMO.

I would skip the chromis, and do the chalk bass instead.

In order, IMO:
Flasher wrasse
Firefish
Goby/shrimp
Bassletts
Clowns
Angel
Tang

mike61289
09/05/2017, 03:43 PM
Not as of yet... probably keep it relatively simple with a cleaner shrimp and various hermits/snails. Maybe sexy shrimp down the road.

Sexy shrimps are tiny and might become a nice snack for the basslets. I'd keep the sexy shrimp out. The rest sounds like a good plan.

Cruiznblue
09/05/2017, 08:00 PM
Great list for a 90, IMO.

I would skip the chromis, and do the chalk bass instead.

In order, IMO:
Flasher wrasse
Firefish
Goby/shrimp
Bassletts
Clowns
Angel
Tang

Thanks! I figured the Clowns would go first...but that will give me time to get some corals in there they could host I assume.

jar41
09/06/2017, 05:49 AM
nice list! i have 3 chalk basslets in qt now. heard you supposed to have 1 or 3 and never 2.

nereefpat
09/06/2017, 07:38 AM
Thanks! I figured the Clowns would go first...but that will give me time to get some corals in there they could host I assume.

That would probably be fine too, considering the tank size. I had them farther down, since they would be among the more aggressive in the list, and firefish and flasher wrasses are mellow and skittish.

HiImSean
09/06/2017, 01:12 PM
IMO skip the tang. I had a kole in my 90g for a while and he was a huge jerk to everyone. He was also back and forth in the tank so I feel a 72" tank would be better than a 48" 90g.

Crooked Reef
09/07/2017, 01:11 PM
Flame back may eat corals.

Cruiznblue
09/07/2017, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I'm definitely wary of the Angelfish nipping at corals, and the tang getting too big. I have a neighbor who has a 180g so I know i could always pass the tang to him if it got too big.

Any suggestions for other fish possibly in lieu of a tang? Something that will be an active swimmer.

nereefpat
09/08/2017, 09:01 AM
Any suggestions for other fish possibly in lieu of a tang? Something that will be an active swimmer.

I like the tang.

But something else to consider would be a Halichoerus wrasse, like a yellow or melanurus.