PDA

View Full Version : Wrasse flashing during feeding

Ragegasm
09/05/2017, 11:45 AM
First time posting since I couldn't really find an answer on the internet. I have a yellowtail tamarin wrasse who flashes a few times on my live rock when it eats. The weird part about it is that he only ever flashes during feeding. I have observed him many times throughout the day for 10-15 minutes and he never does it. My fish store said it's not flukes or anything if its during only feeding time most likely. Would like to hear if anybody has witnessed this happen with their wrasse. Thanks

mike61289
09/05/2017, 03:41 PM
Are there any other fish around him during feeding? He could be signaling that this spot is his and the flashing could be a territorial display to competitors.

Ragegasm
09/05/2017, 03:48 PM
Are there any other fish around him during feeding? He could be signaling that this spot is his and the flashing could be a territorial display to competitors.

He does seem to only flash on a rock thats at the backside of my tank. My anthias, kole tang and orange back fairy wrasse swim pretty much all over the tank when they eat.

mike61289
09/05/2017, 07:04 PM
He does seem to only flash on a rock thats at the backside of my tank. My anthias, kole tang and orange back fairy wrasse swim pretty much all over the tank when they eat.

Odds are it's a territorial display. That rock must be special :P

d-man
09/06/2017, 09:04 AM
What do u mean "flashes on the rock"? Is he rubbing up against it quickly?
Could have flukes or ich if so

jeffmol54
09/06/2017, 01:24 PM
i think it is contest to show dominance with other fish while eating

MuShu
09/06/2017, 06:31 PM
My yellow coris wrasse does this. She only flashes when she eats as well.

Half Vaped
09/06/2017, 10:08 PM
If your fish is flashing on the rocks, as in rubbing its body quickly across the rock, as if to scratch an itch, I think that's more a sign of a disease than anything, but I could be wrong.

Perhaps it actually flashes more often when you're not looking? Or maybe it has some mild underlying infection that only "itches" it when it gets excited for food.

Or maybe it really is a show of dominance. Either way, I wouldn't worry too much unless you see any other signs that something is wrong.

Whenever my Wrasses flash in the second sense, as in a show of dominance, they swim quickly across the water back and forth with their anal and dorsal fins spread out and with their colors intensified.

Some of my Flasher and Fairy Wrasses sometimes like to flash in the second sense during feeding. Some start when they see me with the food, others start after they had a few bites. I never kept any kind of Tamarin Wrasse, however.