PDA

View Full Version : Need some QT Clown help!

D_Rock
09/05/2017, 08:23 PM
I have two Clown Fish in a QT Tank. It was an emergency extraction from my DT due to Ich. I didnt have time to cycle the QT. It just recently cycled but I cannot get rid of this ICH. They have been in there for about 2-3weeks. I treated them with Kordon Ich attack but it just seems to be coming back. There will be periods where there is no sign of ICH than its just back out of the blue.

Could this be from the QT just cycling and the water being unstable or am I doing something wrong here?

Qt tank specifics are below. They were recommended to me by LFS.
Salinity is 1.018
Temp - 83 (Slowly ramping to 84)

Also recently my small clown has been at the bottom of the QT tank just kinda swimming in one spot. Is this normal behavior or is something wrong?

PS im a newbie:strange:so bear with me!

Mr. Eel
09/06/2017, 12:23 AM
ur treatment plan sounds fine to me, but if there are any other fish in the dt they may potentially have ich as well so check all your fish for signs of ich. Another tip is always qt fish with ich (which you did) never use herbal ich treatment it will kill all your fish.

fishkeeprian
09/06/2017, 03:13 AM
I have two Clown Fish in a QT Tank. It was an emergency extraction from my DT due to Ich. I didnt have time to cycle the QT. It just recently cycled but I cannot get rid of this ICH. They have been in there for about 2-3weeks. I treated them with Kordon Ich attack but it just seems to be coming back. There will be periods where there is no sign of ICH than its just back out of the blue.

Could this be from the QT just cycling and the water being unstable or am I doing something wrong here?

Qt tank specifics are below. They were recommended to me by LFS.
Salinity is 1.018
Temp - 83 (Slowly ramping to 84)

Also recently my small clown has been at the bottom of the QT tank just kinda swimming in one spot. Is this normal behavior or is something wrong?

PS im a newbie:strange:so bear with me!

What SG was your display tank? Really the SG in the QT should match the SG of your DT. If not then you should acclimate until they match.

The general method of targeting an ich infestation is TTM (Tank Transfer Method) there is a sticky on here which will explain the ins and outs.

You also need to clue up of the life cycle of the parasite, again there is a sticky on this.

You will need to leave your DT Fallow for a number of days, 72 I think, but again plenty of info on here.

Cheers Ian

D_Rock
09/06/2017, 05:31 AM
Thanks for all the help! Unfortunately my little clown was belly up this morning. My female clown is covered in ICH again. I'm going to continue to medicate her I think. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I usually get my fish from one location. Is it possible my LFS has fish that are tainted? Every fish I got from them have died. The only survivor is my female clown I got from somewhere else.

I have lost in total 5 fish to this. Any help/advice is much appreciated everyone!!!

fishkeeprian
09/06/2017, 07:56 AM
Thanks for all the help! Unfortunately my little clown was belly up this morning. My female clown is covered in ICH again. I'm going to continue to medicate her I think. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I usually get my fish from one location. Is it possible my LFS has fish that are tainted? Every fish I got from them have died. The only survivor is my female clown I got from somewhere else.

I have lost in total 5 fish to this. Any help/advice is much appreciated everyone!!!

No matter where you get your fish from you should never take for granted they are free of parasites.

I would personally proceed with a freshwater dip which should help with the immediate infestation. If performed correctly this has very little stress on the fish, then I would go straight into TTM, no real reason for meds and the general consensus is it is very little on the market that will eradicate ich completely.

pfan151
09/06/2017, 11:02 AM
Ich attack is pointless. Only options are hypo, TTM, or copper. Also need to keep the display tank free of fish for at least 72 days. forget anything your LFS told you. Also lower the temp. Raising the temp does nothing good for your fish dealing with marine ich.

ThRoewer
09/06/2017, 01:21 PM
IME hyposalinity is the easiest way to get rid of ich, directly followed by TTM which requires a bit more attention and work. Copper is something I would avoid as treatment against ich as it is the most labor intensive (2 copper tests a day, more if copper levels have to be adjusted).

All other "medications", especially reef safe ones, are generally useless snake oil. These products not only cause you to lose money, but very likely also your fish.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk