PDA

View Full Version : Nitrifying Bacteria

Deezill
09/06/2017, 07:01 AM
Ok RC peeps which is the better product for helping the tank cycle
Instant Ocean BIO-Spira or Dr Tim's One And Only? I have read great things about them both but I would like to hear from the forum experts. Let me know. Thanks.

andywar
09/06/2017, 07:12 AM
Ok RC peeps which is the better product for helping the tank cycle
Instant Ocean BIO-Spira or Dr Tim's One And Only? I have read great things about them both but I would like to hear from the forum experts. Let me know. Thanks.IMO. I've used turbo start from Fritz, and Dr. Tim. both with good results, and preferred Fritz. Btw I don't consider myself an expert, but I asked a lot and read many posts before using them. LFS suggested frozen vs. Non frozen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JTL
09/06/2017, 07:38 AM
I have used IO and Fritz. Both worked.

Bananafish
09/06/2017, 09:03 AM
I've used BioZyme. I think they're all pretty much the same. BioZyme is a powder, so I lay it down under the sand bed as well as mixing some into the water column.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Horace
09/06/2017, 11:37 AM
So I just added a cup of sand from a friend's tank, a few of his ceramic media balls, and I used the Dr Tim's Ammonia Chloride. I dosed to 2ppm, let it drop to about .5ppm, then back up to 2ppm again. Once it was back to Zero the second time (it was about 24-36 hours) I considered the tank fully cycled. It took just shy of 2 weeks. I added 5 fish the day I detected zero ammonia/nitrite. It has stayed zero ever since.

Moral of the story, I think you are better off getting some LIVE bacteria than that expensive bottle stuff, which may or may not even be helpful.

bertoni
09/06/2017, 04:21 PM
I am skeptical about the bacterial products, and wouldn't bother with them, personally. I haven't seen any reason to believe that they work.

tmz
09/08/2017, 11:38 AM
Bacterial supplements aren't necessary IME. The bacteria involved in the nitrogen cycle are ubiquitous. Having said that the commercila supplements do vary in the description of the type(s) of bacteria they add; some are just heterotrophs and a carbon source,whle others list others.

I wouldn't take sand from someone else's tank unless I was certain of the absence of toxins or pests.