PDA

View Full Version : 64 F shipping H2O for Clam

manfrog
09/06/2017, 10:13 AM
I just got a Squamosa from Live Aquaria and for some reason the shipping water was 64 degrees fahrenheit.
Seems extreme to me. What do you think the chances are for clam survival?
Ever had any live tropical shipments this cold that survived?

Crooked Reef
09/07/2017, 08:27 AM
It wasn't a clam, but when I first started out we had a major snow storm that caused a 5 day power outage at my house. I didn't have a generator and by the time I knew I would need one a day in to the outage, we couldn't find one. All I could do was slowly watch as my water temp dropped over a period of days to the lower 50s. Until it dropped below 60 my fish and corals were all still alive. In the 50s I lost fish first then some corals. Some corals died and some lived but this was about 15 years ago so I don't really remember what corals they were. Everything slowed down as the temp dropped and nothing died until day 4 or 5. The clam may survive. I would contact live aquaria and let them know your concern so it's on record if thenclam does perish.

GQuinn
09/07/2017, 10:19 AM
I've had a few Diver Den purchases arrive in the 66-68 degree range. I've never order a clam from them, but the last 3 or 4 shipments from them have been in that temperature range.

Softhammer
09/19/2017, 07:48 AM
I have had a few that got colder than that. Was 5 years ago and they are still alive. Just raise the temperature back up very slowly. If it's a mature clam it's not uncommon for them to "spawn" as a defense mechanism as they warm back up. No promises, but if you take it slow it should be ok.

chrisv
09/22/2017, 05:38 PM
how did he do?