PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to....

sh4rkbyt3
09/06/2017, 10:54 AM
One product I notice is missing from the market that I really enjoyed were the hand bulb pump gravel vacs. It had a rubber bulb on the top and then a side rejection tube that allowed you to capture particulates in a cloth bag filter.

Granted, the bag never stayed on (tied) but it was great for vacuuming your gravel without having to do a water change. I hate the ones that you basically have to do a water change with and the only alternative seems to be the battery operated ones which often are weak and apparently seem to only work a few times.

It may seem petty but it was one of the most useful products that used to be sold.

mcgyvr
09/06/2017, 11:51 AM
This is a saltwater board.. We don't run gravel here.. ;)

But yeah I think they stopped making those in the 80s..

sh4rkbyt3
09/06/2017, 12:22 PM
Lol they were convenient and did a great job though :(.

jda
09/06/2017, 02:00 PM
I vacuum my sand... not very often or fast, but a lot of debris comes out. I like to do 25% a quarter starting at year 4 so that I am done that year. I find that if I don't the microfauna cannot move around in it as much and it gets bogged down.

sh4rkbyt3
09/07/2017, 04:45 PM
I use nassarius snails to keep the bed semi-clean but my clownfish and bi-color blenny like to leave horse size poop on top of the gravel.

MrSkumFrog
09/08/2017, 01:18 PM
I like using the "nano" sand vac by Python. Its small and doesn't siphon fast. I place the draining end into my filter sox. I can keep my main pump going and clean my sand.

karimwassef
09/08/2017, 01:24 PM
I use life to bulldoze. Cucumbers, nassarius, even small horseshoes. Then there's the small army of pods and worms... lovely lovely worms...

Nassarius freak me out... they're like ninja assassins under the sand. They're invisible until food falls on the sand. Then they come up like submarines under-sand.

mako61
09/08/2017, 01:28 PM
I like using the "nano" sand vac by Python. Its small and doesn't siphon fast. I place the draining end into my filter sox. I can keep my main pump going and clean my sand.

I do this also I have a draw string filter sock I use and just drop it in the sump.

mcgyvr
09/09/2017, 08:56 AM
Nassarius freak me out... they're like ninja assassins under the sand. They're invisible until food falls on the sand. Then they come up like submarines under-sand.

:lmao:
They are little ninjas.. Creepy.. with amazing scent capabilities..