PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing Question

Deezill
09/06/2017, 04:07 PM
hello RC peeps.

I purchased a Marineland 150 Xtra High tank. This tank came with Plumbing for the tank and the only thing I have to purchase is the plumbing for tank to sump
so in otherwords I have my drain pipe which will be converted to Durso and I have my return that site in the overflow. My question is the 1 inch PVC pipes already came connected to the bulkheads. Am I to remove the pvc and put the glue or do I just use them as is? They are seated very well. I am having a hard time trying to pull the pvc out of the bulkhead. In fact I still have not done this.
I ask because with my 65 gallon I performed my first plumb job and I put primer and glue on before sticking it into the bulkhead in the overflow. This is my first time having plumbing that came with tank. Thanks for any help I don't want any leaks.

billdogg
09/07/2017, 01:14 PM
I would not glue in the pvc that is inside the overflows. Even if it does leak a little, it will be leaking into the drain line and down to the sump. In the event of a power outage, the most that can drain down is the volume of the overflow box. As an added bonus, if (when) a fish ends up in the overflow, you can just pull the pvc and let him ride the waterslide to the sump where it will be much easier to get him.

Raf
09/07/2017, 10:31 PM
Glue both, you don't want your drain bulkhead leaking in the event of a
Power outage and draining your overflow possibly flooding your sump and you don't want your return standpipe poping out and causing a geyser coming out of your overflow. If you want to
Make it so you can eventually remove them glue a slip x threaded fiitting and thread the standpipes in.

James404
09/08/2017, 07:45 AM
A properly setup sump should be able to handle all water from the overflow in the event of a power outage or leak. Gluing the return isn't a bad idea though.