PDA

View Full Version : Caulk or silicon

winterpeg
09/06/2017, 03:14 PM
I posted this in my tank feed but i might get more answers here

I need to fill a gap between eurobrace and wall 2x2.

Again will caulk affect the tank (bad for water) and over time of my basement moves will caulk cause my tank Crack due to no elasticity..

Or should i use silicon

Here are some pics of space (7 feet long) and caulk https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170906/bb8f3e3498b0a4759740b2c234104082.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170906/31a4580900c4ac6bf44db1f50e651fc1.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

marioensf
09/06/2017, 03:47 PM
So that's outside the tank right?
Why not use rubber foam or neoprene weatherstripping?

Lsufan
09/06/2017, 05:58 PM
I would think about doing something like the post above mentioned. That looks like to big of a gap to try & silicone. The silicone would have a hard time curing & may not cure depending how big the gap actually is

ericarenee
09/06/2017, 06:17 PM
backer rod is best to fill that void.. if you want it calked do so after you put in the backer rod .. you can find it at big box home stores near the weather stripping stuff

winterpeg
09/06/2017, 06:36 PM
So that's outside the tank right?
Why not use rubber foam or neoprene weatherstripping?Thats on top of the euro bracing.

If i use rubber foam or something else salt and water still could get under it

winterpeg
09/06/2017, 06:37 PM
I would think about doing something like the post above mentioned. That looks like to big of a gap to try & silicone. The silicone would have a hard time curing & may not cure depending how big the gap actually isIts a big gap

But like the idea to have the strip then silicon it

winterpeg
09/06/2017, 06:37 PM
backer rod is best to fill that void.. if you want it calked do so after you put in the backer rod .. you can find it at big box home stores near the weather stripping stuffBut will the caulk cause me issues in my tank. And potentially to hard vs silicon

ericarenee
09/06/2017, 06:51 PM
But will the caulk cause me issues in my tank. And potentially to hard vs silicon

Not at all. you calk the backer rod to the wall then to the edge of the tank if i am thinking your trying to seal the area between the tank and wall.. when you want to remove just run a razor knife down the calk..

But

I would NOT CALK IT. Just wedge the backer rod in there .. calk or silicone on the wall will damage its surface ..

Neither will damage the tank or tank glass .Silicone is safer as far as getting into or tank .

ericarenee
09/06/2017, 06:54 PM
here is what i am talking about
http://www.homedepot.com/p/M-D-Building-Products-5-8-in-x-20-ft-Gray-Caulk-Backer-Rod-for-Gaps-and-Joints-71506/100165680
[/URL]

it comes in different dia and cost very little , super soft and flexible

Lsufan
09/06/2017, 07:46 PM
Is that the top of the eurobracing & a canopy on top? There really shouldn't be much water, only a little splashing & such. U may find u don't need to silicone it using the backer rod ericarenee is mentioning, but if u do I wouldn't try to silicone over the hole thing. Just silicone a small bead where the backer rod meets the glass & a small bead up top where it meets the wall or whatever it is.

winterpeg
09/06/2017, 08:38 PM
Is that the top of the eurobracing & a canopy on top? There really shouldn't be much water, only a little splashing & such. U may find u don't need to silicone it using the backer rod ericarenee is mentioning, but if u do I wouldn't try to silicone over the hole thing. Just silicone a small bead where the backer rod meets the glass & a small bead up top where it meets the wall or whatever it is.Yes

Eurobracing not a canopy it a inwall tank.

But i like your idea and others

Clowning_Around
09/07/2017, 09:15 PM
Any chance you can give a picture with more context. If I understand the condition correctly, I might would try a piece of a scribe mold.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Lsufan
09/07/2017, 09:28 PM
A piece of wheaterstrip or even a door sweep would work also. They make both that stick on so u don't have to screw it like other sweeps.

https://s19.postimg.org/5w9ujzfc3/IMG_1985.png

karimwassef
09/08/2017, 09:25 PM
I used silicone for small gaps and gap foam (closed cell polystyrene) for big gaps.

Did it damage the wall finish? Yes it did. But no salt of water gets through. And when I do remove the in-wall tank, I'm going to have to fix a lot more than the surface finish...

winterpeg
09/11/2017, 06:50 PM
I used silicone for small gaps and gap foam (closed cell polystyrene) for big gaps.

Did it damage the wall finish? Yes it did. But no salt of water gets through. And when I do remove the in-wall tank, I'm going to have to fix a lot more than the surface finish...Exactly on once the tank cones out. I'll have a big hole as well or a nice bar