PDA

View Full Version : Question about custom stand

Tmm87
09/06/2017, 04:44 PM
I'm looking to set up a 40 breeder DT and use another 40 breeder that I already have as a sump. Obviously I'd need to make a slightly larger stand to allow for the sump but would there be a way to run the overflow and return plumbing through the stand instead of behind it without compromising the strength of the stand?

I'd like the stand to sit flush against the wall.

marioensf
09/06/2017, 05:14 PM
That is completely OK to do, 3/4" plywood is strong.

Lsufan
09/06/2017, 06:43 PM
One thing u can do is make the bottom of the stand bigger then the top of the stand. It also allows u to push the sump further back in the stand & gives u a straight shot down to the sump. That is one of the reasons I do it this way, it gives the plumbing a straight shot to the sump but it also gives u a little more room in front of the sump inside the stand.

That is only the depth of the stand(front to back) u would also have to make the stand a little longer if I are using something like rocketengineers stand design. For the length u can build the stand like u normally would with rocketengineers design but take a 2 by 4 or 2 by 6 & lay it flat on top of the top frame. That way the ends of the tank will still sit on top of some framing. U can do the same thing for the depth of the stand but I would prefer the front & back to be sitting directly on top of the top frame. So for the front & back I would make the bottom of the stand deeper then the top like I mentioned before & I will post a pic of mine so u can see what I mean. Doing it this way the top frame & the supports are still under the tank itself. U can make the bottom as big as u want but if u only go 6 or 8" it will keep the tank as about as close to the wall as possible. U need about that much room behind the tank for the plumbing anyway.

Drilling through the plywood top is fine & on a rimmed tank the plywood does add strength but it's main purpose is to help the stand from twisting & keep everything square

https://s19.postimg.org/4ewzhx6xv/IMG_1050.jpg (https://postimg.org/image/wrsh8dsnz/)