PDA

View Full Version : Need lighting advice.

Bobbitworm13
09/06/2017, 10:17 PM
I'm looking for some leds for my 40b, only restraint is budget of $500 and I need to be able to mount on tank. It is a softy and lps tank, but might eventually try sps. It doesn't have to have 36" spread, if there is 30" or so that works with my scape and setup. I'm not looking for black boxes, I have one and hate it. Thanks in advance

Cheapreef
09/07/2017, 12:24 AM
Are you looking to stay with LED? You could go with a Maxspect R420R to fit your budget and tank size.

mcgyvr
09/07/2017, 05:42 AM
I'm not looking for black boxes, I have one and hate it. Thanks in advance

What about it don't you like?
What features do you want/need in a light?

How about this?
https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-24-v2/

Bobbitworm13
09/07/2017, 06:32 AM
I don't really like the lack of controllability on most black boxes, I have a galaxyhydro right now and I'm getting some growth but not a lot. I'm afraid to turn it up because last time I did that I burned my zoas (10% change is the minimum really)

Vinny Kreyling
09/07/2017, 08:56 AM
You will like the reefbreeders.

Bobbitworm13
09/07/2017, 09:39 AM
Okay, will the 24" model work? Also, have the current USA lights become better? A friend has one and if they are better now I might try 2 to get full coverage. I'll probably be downgrading in a year or two to a 20 long so I don't want to have to change lights when that happens

jda
09/07/2017, 10:15 AM
Just get some 36" lights for this tank. 24" will leave 9-12 inches on each side kinda lacking - I have a 7' tank with 6' of light and the 6" on the end and the next 3-6 have much lower output since they only get light from above and one side, not from two sides. I added more lights to the end.

In two years, you will likely be ready for new lights anyway, or just sell this new one and get one to fit then.

Bobbitworm13
09/07/2017, 09:35 PM
I would say I'll upgrade lights in two years but in two years I will more than likely downsize to a 20L for a college dorm.

lieberca
09/12/2017, 09:41 AM
The Maxspect Razr has been great on my 24" tank, but planning a build with a new 40"x17" custom tank has me looking at a pair of Kessils or AI Primes.

schnebbles
11/26/2017, 07:57 AM
What about it don't you like?
What features do you want/need in a light?

How about this?
https://www.reefbreeders.com/shop/photon-24-v2/

I'm looking at new lights as well - do you think this would be better than the AI Prime?

I have a 40b and my rock nems bleached on the bottom and people seem to think it's poor lighting (Current Orbit Marine Pro).

I'm looking for the best, most cost effective option. The RB seems to be the cheapest and I've seen others say they like them.

Ron Reefman
11/27/2017, 07:04 AM
There is nothing wrong with Reef Breeders or Galaxy Hydro led fixtures. IMHO the Photon V2 is the best value in a fully controllable led fixture.

To the OP, if you think the leds are the reason you aren't getting the coral growth you want, odds are, you are wrong. That fixture should grow corals very well, as good as most any led fixture. The RB Photon V2 is a better fixture, but the light it produces isn't much different than the Hydro or a Radion for that matter.