PDA

View Full Version : New anemone

bjledbetter
09/07/2017, 01:35 PM
Got a anemone in from a wholesale. It was labeled as white carpet anemone-Assorted Stichodactyla species. It's the first time I had ever seen it listed . I don't usually like ordering anything that says white esp with anemones because I know it's going to be bleached. I was hoping though with it being from Indo that it might be mertens. But I'm 99.9% that it's gigantea and it has very short tentacles. It's currently in a private tank not for sale till it gets healthy. Queation#1 Is it Gigantea? Question#2 With such short Tentacles will it recover with proper feeding and lighting

D-Nak
09/07/2017, 01:57 PM
It's really hard to tell what it is. Can you take a photo of the column and underside of the disc? Typically, I assume these bleached carpets to be haddoni because they're by far the most common, but without seeing the column it's impossible to give you a positive ID. Even severely bleached gigs and mertensii will have visible verrucae.

If it is a gig, the tentacles will lengthen when it recovers. IME the tentacles get even longer with strong flow.

bjledbetter
09/07/2017, 02:30 PM
Hey sorry I meant to post that pic and posted two of the top of it. Foots blue and the verrucae are bright purple. Like I said I'm almost 100% it's gigantea.

D-Nak
09/07/2017, 04:12 PM
Hey sorry I meant to post that pic and posted two of the top of it. Foots blue and the verrucae are bright purple. Like I said I'm almost 100% it's gigantea.

Oh yes, 100% gig.

CoralsAddiction
09/07/2017, 04:36 PM
Oh yes, 100% gig.

I agree. It's in pretty bad shape though: bleached, deflated and balding. All bad signs.

Greg 45
09/07/2017, 05:02 PM
Most importers list white anemones . When the came in they were gig's They also sell mertensii. 99 % of the time you are rescuing the anemone or they are doa in the bag . Do not put this in your main system. If it passes it will poss wipe out you tank. Quarantine till healthy. dam auto spell . Best of luck with nem .

D-Nak
09/07/2017, 05:06 PM
I agree. It's in pretty bad shape though: bleached, deflated and balding. All bad signs.

Agreed. I can also see the siphonoglyphs with is not a good sign either.

Is there any way it can be isolated from the clownfish? IME they usually do more harm than good. The constant rubbing and pushing on the mouth unnecessarily stresses the anemone.