PDA

View Full Version : Treatment plan

Jdub968
09/07/2017, 04:19 PM
i have two clowns in qt been in there 8 day first 2 let them settle in and observed one clown breathing heavily No visible external signs of parasites. Done a fresh water dip , no flukes. Beings these are clowns and brooklynella is my #1 concern I chose to dose paraguard and observe. Today the heavy breathing was stil present and still no visual external signs of parasites I done a paraguard dip 3mls in a gallon of saltwater and took the fish out after 35 min due to concerns of stress. Check bucket no flukes did see some small black specks ( could be part of the air stone?) returned fish to qt and they were breathing very heavy also shaking as through they had skin irritation.
My question would be what would you do next?
My thoughts are dose prazipro (because of no visual external signs of parasites) observe after 24 hrs for respiration improvement if there's improvement continue 5-7 and redose. If there's no improvement WC and cu.
10 gal qt with 8-1/2 gallons of water in it
HOB with sponge filter and air stone
Bare bottom w/Pvc hiding places and seachem badge
Ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0
SG 1.023

JustinM
09/07/2017, 05:57 PM
Could you post a video possibly? Paraguard is formaldehyde based which can be harsh on fish. I would remove Paraguard from the tank. I am wondering if this is just a reaction to the dip since only one was breathing fast originally.

Jdub968
09/07/2017, 06:28 PM
These guys are so small about 1" it's hard to get a video that will show it. However I thinking the way you are it was a reaction to the paraguard although seachem says it's not. Originally I thought it wasn't either because of the clowns thick slime coat. Tomorrow I'm thinking I'll start cu and feed metroplex beings there were no flukes in either dip

JustinM
09/07/2017, 06:40 PM
Feeding metroplex will treat intestinal worms but won't help for anything external.

Just keep an eye on them, you seem to have a pretty good grasp on it.

Jdub968
09/07/2017, 06:52 PM
Thank you. I try to help others as well and I always ask myself what would I suggest if someone asked me and take that approach however I also like to ask others like yourself when I'm treating a disease or parasite just to get a second option and make sure I don't over look something. My reason for metroplex would be to treat any internal parasite that cu won't get.