09/07/2017, 08:47 PM
How do you tell if the black spots are pigment on the fish or
there is other issue here.

I am seeing more black spots on the larger clown, smaller clown
starting to show some as well.

All water parameters in range. Only one pair and royal gramma in a 17G

nano427
09/08/2017, 06:51 PM
The black spots can occur when a clownfish hosts in coral. Search hypermelanization.

snowlynx
09/08/2017, 10:46 PM
I read about that. I have 3 small torch corals in my tank. I never see the clowns hanging around the torches though, they are frags, about 2-3' diameter when extended

snowlynx
09/08/2017, 11:04 PM
I can try and put the torches in isolation tank. I have seen quite a few reef tanks with clowns and torches. So is it just a matter of bad luck, incompatibility?

The clowns are young, not even adults. They are not as resistant as adult clowns?

I also read some clowns will eventually kill the torches.

snowlynx
09/08/2017, 11:29 PM
read another old post on reef central, someone said not to worry,
young clowns getting use to the stings but according to link you sent me, they are getting
burned and issue should be resolved before it gets worst

is there any info that says clowns build up immunity to these stings?

I want to keep my clowns healthy and happy, not toture them, on othe hand,
I have only one tank right now

nano427
09/09/2017, 01:13 AM
I'm no expert on the topic so I can't answer all your questions. But I can add that I had a pair of clowns that had this and they seemed 100% normal. If in fact yours do have hypermelanization I wouldn't worry about it.

snowlynx
09/09/2017, 02:22 AM
I'm no expert on the topic so I can't answer all your questions. But I can add that I had a pair of clowns that had this and they seemed 100% normal. If in fact yours do have hypermelanization I wouldn't worry about it.

curious if the black spots eventually went away on your clowns or
it is permanent?

Thanks

clowncaldy27
09/09/2017, 02:26 AM
Clowns will produce the proper slime coat over time to prevent themselves from being burned by the stings, they're going to rub against the torches enough times and eventually build up the "immunity" aka sufficient slime coat. Not sure how torches work, but with Nems they use antigens from the anemone to add to its slime coat, but I believe that's so it doesn't get eaten rather than stung.

aznflyfisherman
09/09/2017, 07:46 AM
My mocha clowns had these when they first started going into the rbta, i think once they get use to the stings from the rbta it dissappear.