PDA

View Full Version : RO for drinking only

ckoral
09/07/2017, 10:14 PM
I have owned a water factory sqc4 for 12 years now. The system was purchased before I was in the reef hobby. Unfortunately I do not have time for the hobby and don't plan on getting back into it unless I do a Pico rig.

What I am trying to ask is this old system is at its end of life I can either purchased a whole new set of filters including the RO membrane or I can purchase a new RO system for drinking water only.

I started looking at the newer systems and I see the filters need to be changed more often yet the filters are cheaper. I find it very difficult to do the math on these to see the differences but I'm guessing I would be best to scrap my old RO system and just start new.

Are any of you familiar with the sqc4 water Factory? I realize it's not good for reefs due to low output and a lack of a d DI system, but what I'm wondering is is this old system actually so high quality that I would be better to keep it versus replacing it with a new one or am I just wasting money by keeping it. Opinions please?

I paid 500 for it twelve years ago.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Opus123
09/08/2017, 09:03 AM
I personally would just buy a new unit. It will cost less than buying the filters for your old one. Your old one is so expensive and lasts longer because it is using larger filters. On a new one, the RO membrane should last you for 5 or more years if you are only using it for drinking water. Below is a link to a drinking setup at Buckeye. I would give them a call and see what they suggest. Your old unit says it is for high chlorine areas, so I'm not sure if that is the reason you bought it.

http://www.buckeyehydro.com/residential-ro-system/

ckoral
09/08/2017, 10:48 AM
I now live in the country. Thanks for the advise.

zomb
09/19/2017, 08:36 PM
I now live in the country. Thanks for the advise.

You can get a RO system for drinking that has a tee that goes through the DI process for the tank. I actually just ordered this setup from spectrapure. I contacted their tech sales and sent them a copy of my city's water quality and asked what the best system was for drinking/di and that's what they came up with. Right around $500 with everything built and ready for me to use that way. Also has a 4 gallon tank for drinking water and a TDS meter inline.

There are cheaper systems out there though that will do the job just fine. Just figured I'd add my 2 cents