PDA

View Full Version : Best salt mix for storing saltwater?

Tikosyn
09/08/2017, 07:01 AM
Does Genesis have any recommendations in regards to which salt mix to use for use with the Genesis AWC? I am planning on doing small water changes daily and wanted to know which salt mix would be best when the saltwater is being stored for 2-3 weeks at a time. At the moment I was planning on using Red Sea Coral Pro salt but Red Sea states it should not be stored long term. Thanks!

GenesisReefSys
09/11/2017, 09:58 AM
Hi Tikosyn,

I think if you use a circulation pump in your mixing bin and have the bin open so that there is plenty of surface area exposed to air for adequate gas exchange, the 2-3 weeks' worth of supply of replacement water will be fine. I probably wouldn't let it sit without circulation for too long to prevent it from going stagnant, though.

I haven't heard that about Red Sea Coral Pro salt before. I'm going to go read up!

Kevin

GenesisReefSys
09/11/2017, 10:12 AM
Hi Tikosyn,

Well, scratch everything I said above. Red Sea Coral Pros salt mix does indeed recommend that it shouldn't be mixed with a circulation pump more than four hours. They must have a good reason for stating that. And I don't think I'd leave big batches of it sitting around for a long period of time without some form of circulation.

Perhaps contacting their customer support line would yield a better explanation. I apologize for the inaccurate recommendation above! You learn something new every day.

Kevin