PDA

View Full Version : Atlantic Blue Tang

Vbwjjeep
09/08/2017, 07:37 AM
I have been looking and haven't found a whole lot of information about this fish. I picked one up for my tank based off the information I had and many people had just one in their tank and did just fine. I absolutely love this fish but want to make sure he's getting the care he needs. Any information you have on this fish I would love to have. I've read many people having just one in their tank doing just fine but some people said they are schooling in the wild. I would love some more information on this. He is doing amazing he's eating swimming around. And I have a 125 gallon 6' tank just to put that out there. And it's designed for tons of swimming room and little bridges to go under so he's got room.

nereefpat
09/08/2017, 09:03 AM
Most tangs school in the wild, but we keep them as singles in our tanks due to lack of space and aggression issues.

I would keep it at one. It's great that it's eating well. Give it plenty of food, space, and flow.

Vbwjjeep
09/08/2017, 09:14 AM
Most tangs school in the wild, but we keep them as singles in our tanks due to lack of space and aggression issues.

I would keep it at one. It's great that it's eating well. Give it plenty of food, space, and flow.

Ok thank you. It's only been a day it he is already loving life. He's in that weird gray stage between yellow and blue but still a lovely fish. He's definitely the bigger swimmer in the tank. Loves the whole range of the tank.

hogfanreefer
09/08/2017, 12:26 PM
He will eventually get too large for your tank. Mine became such a jerk I had to rehome him. I would not try to add another tang once he's established.

Vbwjjeep
09/08/2017, 12:54 PM
He will eventually get too large for your tank. Mine became such a jerk I had to rehome him. I would not try to add another tang once he's established.

I think the 125 is plenty for the fish. But I appreciate your concern. He's in there with a yellow tang and doing fine for now. We will see as time passes.

nereefpat
09/08/2017, 01:28 PM

What fishes did it bully? Other tangs? What was the tank size?

Vbwjjeep
09/08/2017, 01:54 PM

Took my question out my mouth haha

hogfanreefer
09/08/2017, 05:14 PM

72x24X21. Pretty much all (which included several wrasse) but it's main focus was a slightly larger purple tang which it killed. The only fish that it didn't bother was my Copperband Butterfly which just tilted his dorsal spines every time it approached.

Just relaying my experience. I've also observed them diving and they can get pretty large(larger than the 9" LA lists them as reaching).

Vbwjjeep
09/08/2017, 05:48 PM
72x24X21. Pretty much all (which included several wrasse) but it's main focus was a slightly larger purple tang which it killed. The only fish that it didn't bother was my Copperband Butterfly which just tilted his dorsal spines every time it approached.

Just relaying my experience. I've also observed them diving and they can get pretty large(larger than the 9" LA lists them as reaching).

They get to 15 or so I believe in the wild but tapout at 10" or so in captivity. I appreciate your input about him being a little brat. I've seen quite a few reports of them being mean. Mostly they are peaceful but it's good to know as with most fish that's not the case with all of them

Vbwjjeep
09/08/2017, 05:50 PM
And I have my yellow tang and this blue tang and that's it for ants. I wanted a powder blue but decided against it.

nereefpat
09/08/2017, 07:28 PM

Yep. Thanks for sharing. I see fishbase has them growing much bigger than 9".

They don't seem to be as commonly kept, compared to other tangs.

nikon187
09/08/2017, 08:50 PM
yes they get much bigger than 10" i recon he will be fine for a while but not long term. swam with them in mexico, maybe 15" without the tail but more like 18-20" with

Vbwjjeep
09/09/2017, 02:26 PM
yes they get much bigger than 10" i recon he will be fine for a while but not long term. swam with them in mexico, maybe 15" without the tail but more like 18-20" with

We will see how it goes. He is happy as can be right now. Seems like the size numbers are different on every website. Only consistent number is 15" in the wild. I've seen one in the store that was 6 years old and was about 8-9". If they get to 15" then even a 180 is too small. I'd give home to someone that has a nice 4-500!gallon tank for him to enjoy life a little more in. But I think that's a ways down the road. Unless someone has a full grown one they can chime in on the size in captivity

humaguy
09/09/2017, 05:33 PM
they are great fish, but as mentioned, grow fast, get huge, and need massive tanks...
this one quickly grew out this 330.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QaGkbzuA28k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Vbwjjeep
09/09/2017, 06:43 PM
they are great fish, but as mentioned, grow fast, get huge, and need massive tanks...
this one quickly grew out this 330.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/QaGkbzuA28k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've seen that video and he is definitely fat but hard to tell how long he actually is. Definitely not 15". He doesn't even look like 12" to me tbh.

Vbwjjeep
09/09/2017, 06:44 PM
And I tried to see the dimensions of that 330 gallon. It doesn't look 8' long and maybe it's just my eyes but it doesn't look like a 330

humaguy
09/09/2017, 08:20 PM
ibtl again!

best of luck...

tk

Vbwjjeep
09/09/2017, 11:46 PM
ibtl again!

best of luck...

tk

What?

saf1
09/10/2017, 09:16 AM
To Vbwjjeep - in before thread lock although not sure why. Seems to be pretty civil but maybe I missed something.

Vbwjjeep
09/10/2017, 09:26 AM
To Vbwjjeep - in before thread lock although not sure why. Seems to be pretty civil but maybe I missed something.

It definitely is haha not sure I guess if anyone converses and shares ideas or difference of opinions it's automatically a fight haha