PDA

View Full Version : Aquamaxx HOB-1.5 Skimmer Biocube 29?

elmersglue111
09/08/2017, 12:33 PM
The new Aquamaxx HOB-1.5 has been released and the reviews have been fairly positive.
https://reefs.com/2017/05/23/aquamaxx-hob-1-5-saltwater-cuisinart/

I've been looking at getting a new skimmer for my Biocube 29 and I would like a Hang on Back if possible.

Has anyone installed the new Aquamaxx HOB-1.5 on a Biocube 29? Any tips/tricks/feedback?

Thanks!

LQT
09/08/2017, 01:30 PM
The Aquamaxx HOB 1.5 would work very well for the BC29. However, you'd have to go hoodless for it to work. In order to run that skimmer with the hood on, you'd pretty much have to hack it up extensively which would totally ruin the aesthetic of the hood IMO.

I ran the HOB-1 for awhile on my BC29, but ditched it when I got my hood retro'd with Nanobox LEDs. I run an Aquaticlife 115 in chamber 1 now. Decent performance but nowhere near as effective as the Aquamaxx.

elmersglue111
09/08/2017, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the advice. Thats what I expected... I was hoping it would work more seamlessly. Oh well! That feedback was great! Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oceanavekid
09/08/2017, 03:47 PM
If you get a sump get a aquamaxx WS-1 same skimmer, but in sump version. It's a beast

Definitely one of my favorite skimmers for tanks under 60 gallons

Mark Bianco
09/09/2017, 06:31 AM
I can speak first hand on this skimmer I have had one for about 3 months on a 40gl cube of all the skimmers I have on many different tanks, from the little Skilter to the Reef Octopus SRO 6000. This is one great unit it actually started producing skimate after 45 minutes when it was first installed and in the past 3 months it has yet to foam over. Not only is it a great skimmer, but one of the most important things to me is it is dead silent yes its that quiet. There is one issue you may or may not like it does produce a fair amount of micro bubbles. This can be corrected by using the purchased separately bubble stopper however it will take up a good deal of real-estate in the tank.

IMHO for a small tank this is one of the skimmers bar none...

elmersglue111
09/14/2017, 02:02 PM
Thanks for all the feedback!!

I have a Biocube with a hood.

Is there a different type of way I could mount the skimmer which would make it work without significant mods to the hood? I know this is a stretch but thought is ask anyways.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk