PDA

View Full Version : Questions on pop up QT tank

Gugs Jr
09/08/2017, 06:04 PM
So about 3 weeks ago I had a controller failure and I lost all my live stock minus 2 fish. A Sailfin Tang and a Christmas Wrasse (red line).

Well I'm looking to make my DT fish free for 60 days (make sure the ich is gone), I also have two 10 gallon tak setup for TTM.

My question is after the TTM how can I setup my 29 gallon QT? I can't use a sponge from the DT like I have in the past because it may have ich on it.

Any help would be appreciated.

JustinM
09/08/2017, 08:09 PM
You are correct, you can't use a sponge from your DT. 60 days will not give you 100% eradication. Some strains are known to live up to 72 days and the norm is 76 days fallow with some just doing 90 days.

JustinM
09/08/2017, 08:12 PM
There are a few products that help seed new tanks like bio spira. I would just keep saltwater mixed in case you need to do emergency water changes. Also keep an ammonia alert badge in the tank to help monitor ammonia. Feed sparingly and suck out any exces waste.

Gugs Jr
09/09/2017, 12:53 AM
Thank you, I'll go 90 days and keep an eye on ammonia

Jdub968
09/09/2017, 01:06 PM
Thank you, I'll go 90 days and keep an eye on ammonia

For sure 76 days minimum. However I feel when setting up a hospital tank it is a system of necessity so go ahead and use a sponge filter from your DT to start it up, you are going to be quarantining and treating the fish so any ick on the sponge will be killed when they hatch. Also if there's ick on your fish and there coming from the DT you are still introducing ick to your ht so what's the difference. Keep in mind this only applies to a hospital tank not a quarantine tank qt tanks should be set up with parasite free items so you don't inadvertently introduce an un infected fish to a parasite

JustinM
09/09/2017, 01:28 PM
Jdub, he is doing TTM and the sponge is for the 29 so I would not use a sponge from the DT. He is not treating the tank that will use the sponge.

Jdub968
09/09/2017, 01:42 PM
Jdub, he is doing TTM and the sponge is for the 29 so I would not use a sponge from the DT. He is not treating the tank that will use the sponge.

Missed the ttm part. qt in that case I wouldn't even worry about biological filtration ammonia shouldn't be an issue during ttm and you could dose prime on day 3 if you do for some reason detect ammonia

Jdub968
09/09/2017, 01:46 PM
Missed the ttm part. qt in that case I wouldn't even worry about biological filtration ammonia shouldn't be an issue during ttm and you could dose prime on day 3 if you do for some reason detect ammonia

And the. Yes the shocker is correct use new filter for 29 gal sorry guys misread