PDA

View Full Version : Never Quarantined Before

FirstContact
09/09/2017, 10:16 AM
I've never quarantined before but have QT tanks now. Do I QT the old stock I've never had any issues with and treat them chemically, or do I just QT any new additions?

juanmanuelsanch
09/09/2017, 11:23 AM
If you dont have any dieseases I dont see why you should quarantine what you have. All new additions should be quarantined to avoid any issues.

I quarantine everything and ich got its way to my tank. Im dealing with it at the moment.

Jdub968
09/09/2017, 12:56 PM
Ya I would too would focus on QTing your new additions of the is no present signs of parasites, flukes or disease. However keep in mind for a tank that has never had its live stock Qt'ed there is a possibility that these parasites are present in your DT and your fish have a strong resistance to them after QTing your next fish keep a close eye on him after he's been introduced to your DT this is the time that fish will be most susceptible to parasites if he comes down with something after being introduced into your DT and you are certain your qt protocol was correct then you will know. Also keep in mind anything wet gets Qt'ed before going into the tank this includes corals and live rock and inverts ect and don't share any items from your qt with your DT (nets equipment ect ) good luck👍🏼

FirstContact
09/09/2017, 01:22 PM
Thanks guys!

JustinM
09/09/2017, 04:46 PM
Dude, take your fish out and treat them, and all new fish. This way you know it is done right and you are parasite free. Some fish build an immunity and are carriers.

If you are fine with what is in your tank now, then just observe for velvet and brook or uronema, etc. I would only treat them if they show symptoms of that. I would assume your tank has ich even though they are showing no symptoms. There is no point in treating for ich if they are going into a tank with Ich.

I am just an advocate for prophylactic treatment of parasites so I will always try and convince people to do the right thing.