PDA

View Full Version : Macro algae eating tang or rabbitfish suggestions

Mad Marine
09/09/2017, 12:30 PM
I several species of caulerpa etc. in my tank, it's becoming invasive. I have to get in with hands every couple of weeks and carefully rip it off the rocks, which is pretty time consuming. I have a White Tail Bristletooth Tang which doesn't touch it.

Is the zebrasoma genus best for eating macro algae? I would like to introduce a convict tang at some point but not sure if it would take care of my issue!

Thanks

MM

ThRoewer
09/10/2017, 11:40 AM
Regal angels either eat it or rip it up for fun. Tried it many times with specimens from the Indian Ocean and Pacific - always the same outcome: all Caulerpa they can reach will be gone in days.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sk8r
09/10/2017, 12:17 PM
The onespot rabbit will also eat it, but is venomous.

Mad Marine
09/11/2017, 01:20 AM
Many thanks!

OrionN
09/11/2017, 10:41 AM
I several species of caulerpa etc. in my tank, it's becoming invasive. I have to get in with hands every couple of weeks and carefully rip it off the rocks, which is pretty time consuming. I have a White Tail Bristletooth Tang which doesn't touch it.

Is the zebrasoma genus best for eating macro algae? I would like to introduce a convict tang at some point but not sure if it would take care of my issue!

Thanks

MM
The best way to deal with Caulerpa in with our hand. Starving tangs will pick at them, but not to any appreciable amount. I would go over each rock remove almost all of them, then tangs will remove the rest. They will not get rid of these algae for you without you do almost all of the lifting.

SAT
09/11/2017, 02:41 PM
My 12-year-old Atlantic blue tang (A. coeruleus) keeps Caulerpa from growing in my display tank, except little nubs that keep trying to grow out of the rocks. Your mileage may vary.

OrionN
09/11/2017, 04:11 PM
I think as long as there is minimal Caulerpa, then the fish will eat it. If there is significant amount, then they won't eat enough to keep it in check.

McPuff
09/12/2017, 07:25 AM
Any Naso spp, most acanthurus, and certainly rabbitfish will consume caulerpa with joy. Many other fish (e.g., large angels) will as well.