PDA

View Full Version : CO2 Scrubber...who uses them?

ReefCowboy
09/10/2017, 10:37 AM
Ive been using this inside my stand, hooked to my skimmer intake. Cant tell it does make a big change, but I like to think it helps with CO2/ph.
I was talking to @ Gcarroll a few days ago, and know many ditch it these days as media can get expensive through time.

My issue is I live in NY, and in the colder months windows are closed, so CO2 can climb up fast.

Who uses them? Noticeable results?

sahin
09/13/2017, 03:16 AM
Ive been using this inside my stand, hooked to my skimmer intake. Cant tell it does make a big change, but I like to think it helps with CO2/ph.
I was talking to @ Gcarroll a few days ago, and know many ditch it these days as media can get expensive through time.

My issue is I live in NY, and in the colder months windows are closed, so CO2 can climb up fast.

Who uses them? Noticeable results?

I'm currently using a CO2 scrubber on my Deltec Skimmer. My Apex unit reports around 0.2 average pH increase. I'm running it as my tank has Dinos and trying the elevated pH to try kill them off. I've only added it a few days ago so unsure how long it will last.

When I added chaeto to my sump that really helped stabilise the pH. So maybe you can try that.

One other thing you can try is introduce outside air to your skimmers air intake.

If you tried all 3 above, a CO2 scrubber should last much longer.

ca1ore
09/13/2017, 08:22 AM
Futzing with the skimmer, whether fresh air, scrubber, etc., never made any material difference to the pH in my tank. I did notice a difference when I added a room ventilator to my basement sump/fish room though.

LQT
09/13/2017, 09:06 AM
I added a BRS CO2 scrubber to my nano skimmer in my BC29. Similar to Sahin, the increase was relatively minor. It raised the pH around 0.2 - 0.3 according to my Apex. I picked up a GEO media reactor for super cheap on eBay that I will convert to a modified CO2 scrubber. In addition to helping with the pH, it will also be used as a muffler to quiet down the sucking noise from the collection cup to the venturi on my Lifereef skimmer. I will make a modification that will replicate the moist air environment of the collection cup to keep the venturi self cleaning and free from obstruction.

That said, the best results I've had with respect to keeping up pH is to open up a window near the tank for some fresh air.

ReefCowboy
09/14/2017, 09:53 PM
Yeah, I think the scrubber is more work than really worth it. BRS claims 30% or so increase in coral growth, that is insane, if true.
I might ditch it in my new build.
Thanks for the feedback everyone