PDA

View Full Version : Tangs for a 320 gal DT

OrionN
09/10/2017, 06:17 PM
My tank died in a somewhat unusual way. I was able to save most my anemones and LPS, but all of my SPS and fish are gone. I wrote about it here if anyone interested:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2274306&highlight=orionn&page=22.

Anyway, I am planing a reboot of my tank. Thinking ahead, I wanted opinions regarding which tangs should go into this tank. I will avoid very large tangs like Naso or Sailfin. Extremely aggressive tangs like Clown and Sohal. I think I will only keep 4 tangs in this tank

I am trying to post a poll and see what some of you think. I am not really interested in very expensive tangs. 200 is likely upper limit of what I am willing to spend on a tang.

Pericyte
09/10/2017, 09:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your tank. I know your advice has helped many of us for years.

One thing I took away from your tank, as well as a couple others, was the joy of watching groups of the same species interact. I might suggest 2 or 3 yellow tangs, get them small. I am a little bias as I love yellow tangs, second only to my blonde naso tangs (easy, beutiful and good natured), but! I have really enjoyed watching my yellow tangs interactions together. I quarantined them together, and put them in the tank after other established tangs were larger, which seems to keep them grouped.

Plus they are smallish, so you could still choose to get 3 other species of tangs.

I wish you the best of luck with your new tank! I know many of us are routing for you.

OrionN
09/11/2017, 06:59 AM
Thanks.

Anybody keep both the Powder Blue and Achilles together in a largish tank like mine? I really like both of these tangs but the last time I keep an Achilles, was right before I started my 320. I was collection animals for this tank. I had him, a small 2 inches Achilles, in a 30X30X30 cube. Had him for 6 months. He was fine, fat, they went crazy, swim wildly for a few hours and died. It was really strange experiences. I was not certain what happened. It just seem that he snapped, rammed the glass multiple times and died of injury. It was the strangest way to loose a fish. I never experience anything even remotely like this before or since.
I think it was a highly atypical experience but cannot help but have huge second though about getting another Achilles.

DaReefTank
09/11/2017, 07:46 AM
I really like the red sea sailfin tang and think its a perfect addition for a tank that big

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breadman03
09/11/2017, 08:11 AM
I'm a fan of more, smaller fish in a tank, along with maybe one big fish. I voted Chevron and Scopas, but might add in a powder blue or brown as the big fish. You might also consider adding in a rabbitfish, though that isn't quite on topic. After fighting lots of algae, I'm a fan of lots of herbivorous livestock.

OrionN
09/11/2017, 08:32 AM
I do like fish on the smaller size also. I do think that the Sailfin get too big. Even Chevron get too big IMO, but is a lovely adult fish with great disposition. I likely will also add a foxface of somekind

ca1ore
09/11/2017, 08:49 AM
Ah, that really stinks .... sorry to hear. Had something similar happen many years ago, when in the process of responding to a boiler blow back in my house, one of the fireman turned off the breaker that ran the tank.

I kept Achilles and powder blue, or tried to, in a 350. Ultimately I concluded it was a bad idea. I imagine there are folks that have done it, and it probably comes down to individual temperament.

OrionN
09/11/2017, 09:50 AM
Simon,
Thanks. I think I will end up with Achilles or Powder blue, not both. I also will only add one, either Yellow or Purple, not both. Likely there will be other yellow fish, not as yellow as a Yellow tang, but no other purple fish so I will likely add a Purple tang and leave the Yellow tang out.

nereefpat
09/11/2017, 10:24 AM
What a nightmare, Minh. Sorry.

I think the purple and white tail tangs are showstoppers, and powder browns are very underrated, active, beautiful, and very hardy. That's how I voted.

I may have missed it. What are the tank's dimensions?

OrionN
09/11/2017, 10:45 AM
Pat,
Thanks. It is a 72X36 30H

I agree on the three tangs you suggested. I love Powder brown and need to choose between Powder brown, Powder blue or Achilles.

Reef908
09/11/2017, 03:51 PM
I voted Purple, Tomini, Powder Blue, and my other vote was for the Lavender Tang. Underrated in its beautiful coloring in my opinion and pretty docile in my experience. I had one for about 2 years until it outgrew my 75 and I had to rehome. He had awesome colors and personality. Left my yellow at the time alone along with all the other fish I had.

d-man
09/11/2017, 06:31 PM
Convicts are underrated imo. They are constant algae grazing machines. I have 2 in my tank and also vote for black and a purple

Half Vaped
09/11/2017, 07:19 PM
Sorry to hear about your brother and your tank, Minh.

I would love to keep both a Powder Blue and Achilles in the same tank myself, but it just seems too iffy. Maybe in a 1000 gallon tank it might work. I voted for the Yellow, Achilles and Chevron, since I'm biased towards Hawaiian fish.

ca1ore
09/11/2017, 08:44 PM
Agree on the convict; best grazer of the Acanthurus genus. Also, I always want a bristle in my reef and the Chevie is my favorite, even if it does get big.

Andrew D
09/11/2017, 08:56 PM
Sorry to hear about your tank, but looking at the bright side it's amazing that so much survived after the extended loss of power. I voted for more than three as I love tangs, and voted for pairings that others shied away from - yellow and purple and achilles and PBT. I have all of these in a 350 along with a naso, yellow eyed kole, regal, fowleri and sohal and while things are busy there isn't a lot of aggression or at least aggression pointed one way. I agree on the beauty of a school of yellows (I have 3) and the utility of a bristletooth. One that I don't have but think it's absolutely beuatiful especially when it gets larger is the lieutenant tang. Too many to choose just three.

WLachnit
09/11/2017, 10:00 PM
So Sorry to hear. My vote would also be to have a couple of pairs or trios. That's one of the things that enjoy seeing diving in Hawaii...shoals of tangs. Good luck with the re-boot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CoralsAddiction
09/11/2017, 11:21 PM
I've always been intrigued by a Hybrid Powder Blue tang. DD has one for sale for $129 right now. It'd be one of the tangs I put in my tank for sure along with a purple tang.
http://m.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/372784/hybrid-powder-blue-tang

ThRoewer
09/12/2017, 12:54 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss.

OrionN
09/12/2017, 06:09 AM
I've always been intrigued by a Hybrid Powder Blue tang. DD has one for sale for $129 right now. It'd be one of the tangs I put in my tank for sure along with a purple tang.
http://m.liveaquaria.com/divers-den/product/372784/hybrid-powder-blue-tang
In comparison to Powder blue, the Hybrid Powder blue is less colorful and less beautiful IMO.

McPuff
09/12/2017, 08:23 AM
Consider adding A. pyroferus (chocolate/mimic) tang to your list. I feel they are highly underappreciated and very cool looking!

CoralsAddiction
09/12/2017, 10:25 AM
In comparison to Powder blue, the Hybrid Powder blue is less colorful and less beautiful IMO.

Yes, the blue color is brighter on regular powder blues. Same thing could be said about a regular Achilles tang vs Achilles hybrid. However, given the choice, I would go with a hybrid of either species.

Half Vaped
09/12/2017, 07:43 PM
Yes, the blue color is brighter on regular powder blues. Same thing could be said about a regular Achilles tang vs Achilles hybrid. However, given the choice, I would go with a hybrid of either species.

It looks like the Achilles and Powder Blue both hybridize with Powder Browns and/or Gold Rims, but not with each other, since their ranges don't seem to overlap (please correct me if I'm wrong).

Personally, I like the look of the full-bred Achilles and Blues more than the hybrid versions, but I do understand the intrigue of getting a rare fish that I will basically never, ever see in any LFS around me. The Achilles-Gold Rim hybrid, I think, looks better than either a pure Powder Brown or Gold Rim.

I bet an Achilles-Powder Blue hybrid would look really cool, though.

johnike
09/12/2017, 07:51 PM
Minh, I have Purple x 2, Yellow x 2, Convict, Desjardini, Blue Hippo, Chevron, and Tomini.
All get along quite nice,
You're right about the sailfin, mine is going to need rehoming soon as well as my Koran Angel.
Best of luck on the rebuild, and again condolences on the loss of your brother.

ca1ore
09/12/2017, 07:57 PM
Could not bear rehoming my sailfin ..... so I'm getting a bigger tanks instead. Also made the dubious decision to acquire a 10" unicornis.

johnike
09/13/2017, 04:25 AM
Could not bear rehoming my sailfin ..... so I'm getting a bigger tanks instead. Also made the dubious decision to acquire a 10" unicornis.

Don't tempt me any further Simon.
I've been toying with idea myself. ;)

OrionN
09/13/2017, 06:40 AM
Thanks John. A life time ago, I keep a Sailfin in a 120. Seeing how big he get, I don't think I will ever keep one again. I have not keep a Naso, but I don't think I ever will. The largest fish in my tank will be "medium" size only.

Jasanden
09/13/2017, 10:34 AM
My vote went to Powder Brown for all the reasons list previously very underatted fish. Also have you Thought about a Tenneti Tang ? equally beautiful and underrated.

Blade13
09/13/2017, 11:37 PM
I vote tomini, purple, Achilles, and white tail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OrionN
09/18/2017, 10:31 AM
I think I will have:
Chevron
Powder Blue Or Archilles
Lo Foxface & Purple tang or Magnificent Foxface & Yellow tang

Need one more grazer.
Maybe I will bite the bullet and add both Pellow and Purple tang. A larger Yellow and smaller Purple

Or else add both Archilles and Powder Blue. A smaller Archilles and larger Powder Blue

Paaty
09/18/2017, 01:00 PM
I have kept achilles and powder blue twice in my tank which is 325g. first time was for 2 years until my tank leaked and then I had no choice to put them in a 150g while waiting for a new tank to be built. They were ok for a few months but one day I noticed the achilles was chasing the powder blue and then about 2 days later never saw the powder blue again.

When I got my 325g back up and running I introduced another powder blue with my achilles and they have been together for about 1 year now. the achilles will sometimes chase the powder blue a little but nothing serious and usually only when nori is first added. I believe in 325g it is possible to keep both when they are added to the tank at the same time, but I would not try in anything smaller than 250-300 gallons.

Paaty
09/18/2017, 01:01 PM
Sorry double post

OrionN
09/18/2017, 05:02 PM
I have kept achilles and powder blue twice in my tank which is 325g. ......
Thanks. I would love to do this. IME Archilles tangs are more aggressive than Powder Blue tangs. Also Purple tangs are more aggressive than Yellow tangs.
I really like to add all 4 tangs together at the same time. Purple, Chevron, Powder Blue and Archilles at the same time. Hope all small to a fully aquas-cape 320. Will see how this going to work out.

m0nkie
09/18/2017, 06:04 PM
I think Achilles tang will be harder to get now with the ban in Hawaii. you may need to order one soon.

was debating between powder blue or achilles for my last tang in the 560. Luckily, I was able to get a hybrid gold rim Achilles yesterday.

I have a black tang, yellow tang, gem tang, 2 yellow belly blue tang. going to add the Achilles hybrid last and maybe a Blonde Naso