PDA

View Full Version : Designer Corals/Zoas

Jakers88
09/10/2017, 05:39 PM
I'm curious if there is any benefit to buying "designer" corals from big name companies. Example:
Let's say WWC has a designer coral that they sell for $100. My LFS sells one with the same name for $75, and Joe schmo on eBay is selling it for $50. All have the same name, and all look similar but slightly different. I'm assuming WWC will look better because of high end lights/camera etc maybe more so than the LFS and Joe schmo. But ultimately won't they all change how they look based on the parameters in MY tank?

I've only bought one coral so far (frogspawn) and I'd like to get more, I'm just trying to decide if it matters where I buy from. If in the end the coral I see online/in store is ultimately going to have a different variation once in my tank.

Also, is it better to have large colonies of fewer types of corals or a larger variation of corals but smaller colonies? I imagine it's just personal preference but I can see how in a smaller tank like mine (24g) too many variations could make the tank look cluttered.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

ericarenee
09/10/2017, 06:09 PM
I would never over pay for xx name coral from yy coral shop.. Buy corals that you like and enjoy.

the size of coral colonies you buy would really depend on how quick you want to fill the tank .. for 24 i would say buy smaller frags

Jakers88
09/10/2017, 06:14 PM
I would never over pay for xx name coral from yy coral shop.. Buy corals that you like and enjoy.

the size of coral colonies you buy would really depend on how quick you want to fill the tank .. for 24 i would say buy smaller fragsYea my plan is to just buy frags and watch them grow and spread. I'm not sure if I should buy multiple types of frags or stick with just a few. There are so many that I like!

ericarenee
09/10/2017, 06:18 PM
Yea my plan is to just buy frags and watch them grow and spread. I'm not sure if I should buy multiple types of frags or stick with just a few. There are so many that I like!

if you buy different types and let them grow out , then decide you do not want them you can trade them in , sell them to get others that you come to like more. or of course donate them to other reefer newbies in your area.. This helps you gain knowledge of what you really like, Grows the hobby with more tank raised corals and helps a new reefer get into this Expensive hobby..

TOTAL Win win situation for you , local reefers and the oceans.

Jakers88
09/10/2017, 06:19 PM
if you buy different types and let them grow out , then decide you do not want them you can trade them in , sell them to get others that you come to like more. or of course donate them to other reefer newbies in your area.. This helps you gain knowledge of what you really like, Grows the hobby with more tank raised corals and helps a new reefer get into this Expensive hobby..

TOTAL Win win situation for you , local reefers and the oceans.That's a great way of looking at it!

norfolkgarden
09/11/2017, 04:22 AM
I like supporting our local lfs whenever possible.

I am also always happier buying something I can see in person instead of just looking at a picture.

Even if the lighting in the lfs is a little different from mine it's often a better indication what it will look like in my tank than any picture.

There are only a few neon green sinularia that have been even more impressive in person than the picture from Live Aquaria.
All of the other pictures I have seen have been representative, but didn't 'pop' quite as much, even after a week or two in the tank.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk