PDA

View Full Version : Fish swimming strangely

ald0sss
09/11/2017, 05:10 AM
Hi,

New to the forums. Anyways about a week ago I took a home a clownfish who was swimming quite actively. The next day he seemed to be hiding in the corner of the tank (150L tank), which I searched the forums which suggested it was somewhat normal since the fish was probably shy. But still given that it was my first resident, i was paranoid. The tank has been up for 2 months and cycled with dr tims.

Im usually at work and Mum told me that the clownfish would swim to the top of the tank then just allow himself to sink. Tried to look it up and couldnt find an answer, other than the fish just doing what it does best - being a clown.

Oops forgot to note that throughout this entire time he stays at the bottom of the tank on the substrate.

Anyways today i found him, again, on the substrate and when he does swim, hes only using his fins - if ibremember correctly, clowns usually move their booty alot when they swim. But nope, it appeared as if he could only swim with his fins with no tail action, as if it was stiff.

Also Ive never ever seen him eat despite me feeding him every 2 days - or at least attempt to.

Tank parameters:
150L tank
Gravity 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10
pH 8.2

Did a water change on Saturday as well but hes still shy.

Any help would be great thanks!!

Jdub968
09/11/2017, 10:56 AM
I've noticed with clowns they do take a few days to get eating and most new fish when added to a new tank need to get comfortable. However are you seeing any heavy breathing scratching flashing white spots on the body ect. And lastly I would try to offer him a variety of food mysis brine roe pellet flake ect he may not recognize what your feeding him as food also try soaking it in a bit of garlic gaurd or garlic extreme

Jdub968
09/11/2017, 10:57 AM
I've noticed with clowns they do take a few days to get eating and most new fish when added to a new tank need to get comfortable. However are you seeing any heavy breathing scratching flashing white spots on the body ect. And lastly I would try to offer him a variety of food mysis brine roe pellet flake ect he may not recognize what your feeding him as food also try soaking it in a bit of garlic gaurd or garlic extreme

Forgot also how was he acclimated to the tank?

ald0sss
09/11/2017, 03:22 PM
Thanks for responding. I woke up today and found that my clown didnt make it. Found him being sucked in by the filter intake cover. God that was traumatising.

Anyways, I just checked him when I took him out. There were no scratches or white spots when I found him. I did think he was breathing hard one but I checked the store I got him from and it was quite similar. - maybe he appeared to be breathing slightly heavier.

I'll try grabbing some other foods to try giving him. Also he drip acclimated for 45 minutes.

Any idea on what he could of died from?

Jdub968
09/11/2017, 06:27 PM
Thanks for responding. I woke up today and found that my clown didnt make it. Found him being sucked in by the filter intake cover. God that was traumatising.

Anyways, I just checked him when I took him out. There were no scratches or white spots when I found him. I did think he was breathing hard one but I checked the store I got him from and it was quite similar. - maybe he appeared to be breathing slightly heavier.

I'll try grabbing some other foods to try giving him. Also he drip acclimated for 45 minutes.

Any idea on what he could of died from?
Well it would only be speculation beings there was not any signs of parasites. This clown went directly into your DT without quarantine correct? Check these make sure your good and try again. Test all water quality, are you getting good water surface agitation from power heads or return pump, are you running a skimmer this adds o2 to the water, after you drip acclimate it is still a good idea to float for temp, does your Lfs have anything in the tank water like cu if so don't add anything to the tank or bag when dripping that dosent mix with cu.

ald0sss
09/11/2017, 06:54 PM
Yup so there weren't any other fish in the tank so I thought it should have been alright to add him straight into the DT. I use two powerheads directed towards the surface; one near the top of the tank facing upwards and one towards the bottom of the tank facing upwards. My tank is cylindrical so its more deep than it is long/wide.
Best attempt at diagram:
| |
|PH |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| PH|
|_______________|

I'll have to ask the LFS once I go back.

Forgot to mention that I do have another, slightly larger clown, in the tank as well. He seems to be doing fine and was only added 4 days ago. I added him just in case I thought the first one was just feeling a little lonely. He's still a bit shy but at least he's not laying on the substrate. Got this one from the same LFS.

Is there a chance that this could have been swim bladder disease?

Thanks for all your help btw!

ald0sss
09/11/2017, 06:57 PM
Oh man that diagram did not turn out right.
|***************|
|PH*************|
|***************|
|***************|
|***************|
|***************|
|*************PH|
|_______________|

Jdub968
09/11/2017, 07:02 PM
Yup so there weren't any other fish in the tank so I thought it should have been alright to add him straight into the DT. I use two powerheads directed towards the surface; one near the top of the tank facing upwards and one towards the bottom of the tank facing upwards. My tank is cylindrical so its more deep than it is long/wide.
Best attempt at diagram:
| |
|PH |
| |
| |
| |
| |
| PH|
|_______________|

I'll have to ask the LFS once I go back.

Forgot to mention that I do have another, slightly larger clown, in the tank as well. He seems to be doing fine and was only added 4 days ago. I added him just in case I thought the first one was just feeling a little lonely. He's still a bit shy but at least he's not laying on the substrate. Got this one from the same LFS.

Is there a chance that this could have been swim bladder disease?

Thanks for all your help btw!
Ok wait a sec did the clown that went in die before adding the other clown? Clowns are always best added at the same time if you have a maroon clown these guys can be aggressive and will kill other clowns, I dought there was a swim bladder issue usually fish with this float on there sides or upside down they have a hard time righting themselves ect.

ald0sss
09/11/2017, 07:20 PM
They're both ocellaris clowns. They were added almost a week apart. When I added the second one (bigger), he did bully the little one but it ended by the second day.

First clown was added on the 2/9 and second added 8/9. The first clown, the one that died, I only found had died this morning, and he was on the filter intake.

The first, smaller clown did tilt and at times go upside down (when i explained he would swim to the surface and let himself sink, it was more like a tumble down), but he could have right himself if he wanted to. But almost 90% of the time he spent on the substrate.

It was only last night that I noticed that he was struggling to swim (being unable to move his tail fin and only using his side fins).

Jdub968
09/11/2017, 08:02 PM
Well then possibly it could have somethings to do with a swim bladder. How's the other clown doing? Keep an eye on him for the tale tale signs and try to get a qt set up cus prevention is way easier than treatment

ald0sss
09/12/2017, 12:06 AM
The other clown seems to be fine, he likes to stay amongst the rock work (which is still a bit strange) and close to the bottom of the tank. Other than that, he isn't showing anything out of the ordinary.

I'll keep an eye on him and hope for the best.

JustinM
09/12/2017, 10:55 AM
Clowns swim kind of strange anyways. If it were swim bladder, it would have trouble staying down. He would almost just float around the tank. Have you seen your clown go to the bathroom? Constipation is usually the cause of swim bladder.