View Full Version : Irma tank crash, looking for help to minimize losses!

09/11/2017, 02:11 PM
Hi all,

I live in southwest FL and am working on mopping up the aftermath around my place today. I have (or had, maybe) a 220 gal mixed reef. Long and the short of it is that the tank lost power for 8-12 hrs yesterday. I originally had a plan in place to keep the tank aerated until I could get my generator running, but that involved me staying in the house and I had to leave unexpectedly due to a last-minute increase in storm surge risk. Well, the storm surge did not materialize thankfully, but when I got back last night I had the following losses:

- 6" sailfin tang
- 4" yellow tang
- 4" hippo tang
- 3" coral beauty angel
- 5" foxface
- 3" foxface
- 2" hawkish
- 4" blue throat trigger (presumed)
- 3x lyretail anthias, 4x other smaller fish
- several (but not all) inverts

Amazingly, the coral doesn't look too bad today. Zoas, palys, and softies are open. SPS including several species of acro, monti, and pocillopora seem mostly ok except for some bleached tips on a couple pieces. LPS is all open and seems happy enough.

Water temp did not spike or drop, it was just a flow/oxygenation issue.

Obviously I have removed all dead livestock I have been able to find, but a few small fish and inverts remain. A 6" Naso tang, clown pair, and a few chromis survived.

So here are my questions.

1. When will I know if I'm out the danger zone on SPS and LPS going down the RTN road?

2. I currently dose pretty high amounts of Ca and alk to keep up with SPS demand. I also dose 25 mL daily of vodka/vinegar mix, and small amounts of Mg. Given my huge livestock losses and the shock to the tank, what, if anything, do I need to adjust on my dosing right away?

By the way, I realize a large water change is in order but anything more than 5-10 gallons is just not going to be feasible for probably 4-7 days.

TL, DR: power outage from Irma crashed my fish population. What can I do to minimize coral losses, particularly with regard to adjusting dosing regimen?

09/11/2017, 08:54 PM
I think if you can test your parameters to see where its at n go from there? Glad you guys are safe..

09/12/2017, 05:21 AM
Heartbreaking honestly... I'm currently trying to save my tank.. Still no power here:sad1:

09/12/2017, 06:22 AM
I would think that you should maintain parameters - to the degree that you can. When the power does return, probably should think about lowing the light levels a bit. When I had a major problem with my tank years ago, most of my SPS bleached and then the high light levels did them in.

What are you being told about return for electricity?

09/12/2017, 08:07 AM
Jmareef1022, yes it is. I had many of the lost fish for several years, and even pulled them through a velvet outbreak once. I'll be crossing my fingers for your tank.

Appreciate the advice so far. I do have power back - surprisingly came on about 7pm yesterday. The tank had full power back the night before that though when I connected my generator. I had already considered whether to "rest" everything and go no lights, or run the tank as normal. I did an alkalinity check when I first got home and it was way up in the low 11s; I usually maintain it in the low 9s. Only reason I could figure was that the lack of light all day had prevented coral growth and other tank metabolic activities. With that in mind, I decided just to run the tank as normal and it had a standard light cycle yesterday.

Coral has looked good so far except for a couple of acros with some bleached tips. This morning there is still no evidence of RTNing colonies...thankfully.

So far, alk is maintaining in the high 10s. Ca is at 430, which is just a bit higher than my usual of 410-420.

I'm honestly afraid to check nitrates and phosphates at this point lol, although I was able to get out 90% of the dead livestock. I will probably check that today as having power back will make it much more feasible to do a larger water change if need be. Both typically run near 0.

Would any of you folks consider making a reduction to the carbon dose, given the significant loss of waste-producing livestock?

09/12/2017, 08:57 AM
Thanks traunamed I have no generator and no electric still... I'm using the bubbler and iced water bottle method im doing all I can .
Again I'm sorry for your lost that was a big list and considering the size of them plus the years they spent with you..

09/15/2017, 07:24 AM
Sorry for your loss.

09/15/2017, 02:20 PM
Sorry for your loss...

09/15/2017, 05:52 PM
Thanks guys. Coral still seems mostly okay, and my Naso and clown pair are doing well so at least I was able to get the generator going in time to save a lot. I'll get restocked. :)

Small Heavens
09/23/2017, 02:59 PM
Wow, that is pretty unfortunate.
Am so sorry to hear so, I hope you get a chance to bounce back and recover fluently.

10/19/2017, 02:53 PM
Wow....how devastating! I hope you all get your tanks back to its former glory as soon as possible!

10/19/2017, 04:54 PM
Good to know you´re ok, but the tank is a shame :) the same happened to some friends of mine which live in Mexico City (as I do as well).
Hope you are back on track.